To Go Home

July 1499, the Tower of London

Watching Teddy as he moved his horse across the floor, Lisbet looked to her brother and husband, standing by the window, dark circles like bruises under their eyes.

'God we must look awful' she thought, rubbing her own before she placed her hands on her belly and sighed, once more praying for the safety of her child.
Listening to the steady tapping of the wooden horses hooves, Lisbet almost jumped out of her skin when her brother gave a small yell and turned to her.

"It's a royal carriage!" He exclaimed and Teddy all but dragged Lisbet to the window in his excitement. Together, the Yorks all crowded around the window, yet again looking for a way to open it and letting out sighs of frustration when they could not.

But that did nothing to stop them from peering down at the green and staring as a red headed woman climbed out of the carriage, looking around her surroundings with sad eyes.
"It's Lizzie" Lisbet whispered.
"And she's here for you" Ned remarked, putting a hand on her shoulder "remember what Meg told you, whatever chance you are given, take it...it does not matter what the consequences are now"

"Precisely" Francis murmured and his wife leant into his arms, feeling the urge to sob against him.
"Do not cry, little bird" he told her softly, as if reading her thoughts "I couldn't bare to part in tears"
"Nor could I, my love...but I cannot even comprehend parting with you..."

Looking between the two, Ned led Teddy away and sat down on his bed, staring up at the ceiling.

"You must be strong when I am gone" Francis said "you must do what is best for our child...be happy, for me"
"Happy!" Lisbet returned with a stricken face "how on earth can I ever be happy knowing your fate and how will I ever be able to live knowing that you are dead...it's impossible, Francis!"
"No it's not" he replied gently, cupping her face with his hands "for you are a warrior Lisbet, in body and in mind and you will survive my loss, I promise that you will"

"I won't...I know I won't...for if you die, my heart will simply wither" she returned "I want our child to know their father"
"Which you know is impossible" Francis whispered, drawing her closer "but even if they do not know me, you will tell them of me, won't you?"
"Of course I will! I will tell them of you every hour of every day"

Just as when Meg had come the previous month, the sound of jangling keys and a lock turning sounded and the cell door was thrust open with a bang. A guard with the Tudor rose painted brightly on his armour stepped forward and he surveyed his surroundings with obvious disgust.

"Elizabeth Plantagenet" he yelled and Lisbet turned around, slowly moving away from Francis and towards the man.
"Yes?" She asked, trying to look as brave as possible.
"You are to come with me, right away"

Nodding a little, the duchess glanced at her husband and kissed his cheek, looking deep into his eyes.
"I love you, remember that until I return anon" she said and walked across the room, following the guard as she stepped out of the cell for the first time in two months and felt as if fresh air had suddenly filled her lungs.