Long Live the Queen

"What is it, Elizabeth?" Lisbet asked the next morning as she rushed to the window upon hearing her Aunt give a startled gasp

"What is it, Elizabeth?" Lisbet asked the next morning as she rushed to the window upon hearing her Aunt give a startled gasp. Looking over the woman's shoulder she saw a group of soldiers trot through the abbey gates "perhaps they have come to set us free?" She whispered hopefully but Elizabeth shook her head.

"Nay" she murmured, eyes narrowing "there would be more horses if they were..."

Within minutes the soldiers had burst into the York apartments and Lisbet stepped next to Elizabeth, clutching at her hand, though she held her head high and did not hide.

"We are come to collect the Lady Elizabeth, by order of the King" one of the men announced
"By order of the King?" Lisbet repeated "and pray tell why does he wish the Lady Elizabeth to go with you" she lowered her voice so only her aunt would hear "for I am sure the King is currently in Burgundy..."

The soldier shrugged and scanned the room.
"Would you be so kind as to tell us where we may find the girl?"
Lisbet raised an eyebrow and stepped forward though she felt Elizabeth tense beside her.
"In truth, Sir, you are looking at her though I am no mere Lady...and I will go with you willingly."

The soldiers looked at each other, taken aback by this young girl's confidence and eloquence but recovered quickly and ordered her to go with them.
"A moment with my Aunt, if you please" she said and turned to hug Elizabeth, slipping her arms around her neck "trust me" she whispered as she drew back "I shall get news to you"

Elizabeth looked uneasy and almost went after her niece as she was escorted through the abbey by the soldiers but as she watched Lisbet mount a spare horse and take the reins firmly in her small hands, something told her that she need not worry in that moment. Perhaps it was Marian calling out to her.

By noon, the small party entered the courtyard of Westminster palace and, just as before, Lisbet was greeted with a hoard of squealing kin.

"Oh, Lisbet!" Maggie cried as she helped her cousin down from the horse "where have you been? I've seen Teddy! You must come as well for he is so lonely! Oh, were have you been?"
"You said you wouldn't leave again!" Meg laughed in relief at her elder sister's return "yet here you are yet again being escorted by Tudor soldiers! You didn't try and escape did you? For I shall be very miffed if I find you did and didn't think to include me!"

4 and 6 year old Mary and Cece danced around in delight, having been set free from their Tower prison and now in their own rooms again. They jumped up and down, the youngest demanding that Lisbet carry her up the steps (to which she was more than happy to oblige) and nuzzling affectionately into her neck as she did so, her waist length, golden curls blowing gently in the breeze.

After changing from her grey gown, gratefully tossing it aside while Meg chatted happily, Lisbet was called to appear before Henry and as she neared his rooms, she mentally prepared herself for a battle. A battle of will and of wit. She was sure she would win, for once hoping that Lady Margaret may be present so that she could make a well timed insult that would send the Tudor's flying.