Stay With Me

Gliding elegantly down the hallways of Gravensteen, Gwen by her side, again trying to imitate her mother, Lisbet held the long train of her deep blue gown in one hand while she once more steadied the towering hennin that sat atop her head, a golde...

Gliding elegantly down the hallways of Gravensteen, Gwen by her side, again trying to imitate her mother, Lisbet held the long train of her deep blue gown in one hand while she once more steadied the towering hennin that sat atop her head, a golden circlet around the base of it.

"You look beautiful" Bianca whispered from behind and Lisbet nodded her thanks, biting her lip a little as she approached her family and tried to focus on keeping her headdress upright.

"Ah! Ma chérie!" Marian called lightly from the entrance to the great hall, the Queen's crown of England sitting perfectly on her head, it's jewels glimmering in the torch light "you look like an angel!"
"Well, I do not understand why I must wear this troublesome thing!" Lisbet retorted, gesturing to the hennin as her mother bent down to stroke Gwen's ears before she led her to stand by her brothers.

Both were wearing doublets of gold and Ned was holding Anne, happily playing peekaboo with her while Edmund watched on, genuinely confused about what to do with his little sister and so simply stared awkwardly at her, clutching the hilt of his sword until Gwen came into view and provided a welcome momentary distraction.

"Tis the fashion" Marian told her daughter "and besides we are making first impressions tonight! After this, you may wear your hair down with your crown as often you like! But tonight is a night to impress, ma chérie! And so impress is what we shall do...now come here a moment"

Lisbet stepped forward and watched on as her mother arranged her headdresses' silver gauze veil, sliding in one of the pins, that attached the hennin to Lisbet's head, in a little tighter so that it would not fall off.

Lisbet turned to say thank you to Bianca for her efforts but found she had slipped away, with Gwen trotting at her heels, and so went to stand by Edmund who was trying in vain to resist the small girl that was being held out to him by his younger brother.

"You wish to be King and yet you cannot even hold a baby? Pah!" Ned laughed, drawing Anne back into his arms "there there little Annie! Edmund shall grow to love you!" Anne wiggled in her robes of cloth of gold and burbled some nonsense while Edmund turned an angry shade of red.

"Now now Eddie" Lisbet whispered, placing a hand on his sleeve "do not let Ned's teasing get to you, you shall be a great King and all shall soon know it!" Ed nodded in appreciation and linked his arm with Lisbet's as the regal trumpets inside the hall begun to blare and all the pairs of Plantagenet eyes snapped to the oak doors.

They swiftly swung open and Marian stepped forward, head held high and quickly followed by her children as they were announced.

"Her Grace, Margaret Plantagenet, Duchess of Burgundy welcomes Queen Marian of England and her children, Edmund, Prince of Wales and true King of England, Princess Elizabeth, of York, Edward, Duke of York and Princess Anne, of York"

Lisbet moved forward with her family and felt the Burgundian court turn their way, shocked looks on their faces.
"She's alive...the blessed Queen of England is alive!" She heard one courtier say as Marian passed.
"By god! York is saved!" Said another and soon and chant begun.
"York! York! York!" The courtiers sang and Marian beamed at all of them, acknowledging their bows and curtsies with regal nods.