A Plot to End the Enemy

After being roughly pulled forth from the carriage in which she and her brother had been bundled into for their journey back to the palace, Lisbet found herself quickly covered with a thin sheet and whisked away from the prying eyes of the court

"Remember" she called to Ned who nodded before she allowed herself to be all but carried though the corridors of the palace to the Queens chambers where she knew her act must begin.

As the doors opened, she was set down on a cushioned settle which her aching and bruised body all but melted into. Hearing the heavy doors close again, Lisbet glanced to her side to see Lizzie staring at her anxiously, distress clear on her face.

'It is time' Lisbet told herself and without a second thought, threw herself at her cousin's feet, clutching at her hands while she began to cry, finding the only thing she did not have to fabricate were her tears.

"Oh cousin!" She wept, keeping her head bowed "oh Lizzie, my beloved Lizzie, please forgive me I beg of you!" Resisting the urge to stiffen as she felt arms around her, she allowed Lizzie to stroke her muddy hair and kiss her forehead.

"There is nothing to forgive" the older woman whispered "oh I am glad you have returned to me, dear one and from this day forth I swear that no one shall ever harm you again!" Lisbet smiled, it was more than she dared hope! Her readmission into Lizzie's affections truly had been that easy. Now the true work began.

Watching with narrowed eyes as her cousin left to call for hot water for a bath, Lisbet immediately shuffled back to the settle and once again went through her plan in her mind.

'We will fool them' she had told Ned outside of Westminster Abbey 'we shall pretend that is experience had crushed us; pretend to bow and scrape before them, we shall gain their trust, or at least I shall gain Lizzie's and therefore Henry's. But truly we shall be plotting behind their backs! You and Francis must stay out of mind and sight, become inconspicuous or at least try to be close to Tudor and his band of followers, while I work on my relationship with Lady Margaret and Lizzie. It shall be perfect...oh it shall all be perfect brother' She smiled to herself as she recalled the way Ned's face had lit up at the prospect and her had instantly agreed.

Now all the two would have to do was put their plan into action. So far, Lisbet's side had gone smoothly and she could see a clear path ahead, all she need do was lie and she was sure that she could perfect the art of her acting if she tried hard enough.

'Simper and curtsy' she could almost hear her grandmother say and jumped when the doors once more opened, so deep was she in her thoughts.

༒༒༒

"So shall you finally consent to become one of my ladies?" Lizzie asked gently as she washed her cousin's skin free of blood and dirt, her heart raging at the way she had been treated "in all honesty I shall be more than glad of you as my friend again! I find it's easy to grow tired of the pious women my mother in law place around me"