Queen Of Two Houses

Lisbet sighed as the water of the bath warmed her small body, washing away the sand that stuck to her skin and hair

Lisbet sighed as the water of the bath warmed her small body, washing away the sand that stuck to her skin and hair. Her eyes closed drowsily and a small smile formed upon her lips as she let herself relax a little, the pain in her heart over Ned's death lessening slightly...Ned...poor sweet Ned...

The lighting flashed and the thunder roared while the waves and rain crashed down upon the men and the little girl that struggled in the icy ocean...
"Lisbet!" Ned cried, holding out a hand before he was dragged under, his cries of distress being lost to the wind...

"Ned!" Lisbet shouted, sitting up in the bath, the water splashing over the sides as she pulled her knees up to her chest and begun to cry, hot tears rolling down her cheeks.

She was still crying silently a few hours later when Edmund came up to find her. She was lying in her nightgown curled up on her bed, dark hair fanned out on her pillow. She looked tiny to Edmund and he instantly felt a sting of pity for his little sister and clambered onto the bed, bringing her into his arms.
"All is well, Lisbet" he soothed, stroking her hair "here" he pulled his wooden boar from the front of his doublet and placed it into his sister's hands.

Lisbet smiled, letting out a small giggle and clutched the childhood toy to her chest.
"Oh our darling papa! He would be so glad to see that we are reunited, Eddie!"

Edmund smiled as well and rested his head atop Lisbet's while Ned entered, almost bumping his head on the top of the doorway and having to quickly dip to avoid injury.

"Ah, a little sibling reunion that you didn't think to invite me too?" He chuckled as he took in the small scene before him. Ned quickly seated himself on Lisbet's free side and laughing again as he saw the boar in his sister's hand, gently leaning against her, breathing a happy sigh.

That night the three York Plantagenets sat at dinner together, their young faces animated by the candlelight as they ate.
"Is Francis not with you?" Lisbet asked, reaching out to pluck an Orange from the plate in front of her "I thought he might be to collect his father's body?" Ned sighed and shook his head.
"I'm afraid not, sister. It was too painful for him...he was with us at first but then he went back to Gravensteen yesterday...I see you still have a taste for oranges?"

Lisbet giggled as she bit into a segment and nodded.
"I must admit" Eddie called from across the tables "I much prefer plums to oranges! Oranges can sometimes be too sweet for my taste!"
"What a testimonial, Eddie!" Ned laughed "don't ever let mama hear you say that or she shall use her divine powers to strike you down from the earth...!"
"And send me straight into hell! Yes I know!" Ed finished with a grin, stabbing another slice of meat and putting it into his mouth.

"So what is the plan?" Lisbet asked "are we to go to Tornai? Or to Burgundy?"

"Well, we are to go and join the court of Burgundy! At the castle of Gravensteen" Edmund answered "we left Tornai after the Burgundian army sailed for England and are now settling in at our Aunt's court."