Lady Margaret

"What is it, dear one?" Lizzie asked as the two slipped into the Queen's bed beside each other, deciding it was too late in the night for Lisbet to return to her own chambers that night

Pulling her knees up to her chest as she leant back against the pillows, dressed in one of her cousin's elaborate nightgowns, Lisbet allowed herself to frown a little.

Since the embrace just an hour before, she had recognised that there was now a window of time that she could allow herself to be comfortable and honest in Lizzie's presence. That window would be firmly shut, gone forever by morning, but Lisbet was determined not to waste it, even feeling a small pang of guilt for deceiving her cousin as she saw the look of genuine concern and affection that was pointed in her direction.

"Henry wants..." she began before forcing herself to look at Lizzie "he wants my child, if it is a daughter...to be wed to your son...young Harry"

Lizzie took in a sharp breath and shook her head, staring at the fire.
"And you?" She asked "you do not want this?"
"Well I am..." Lisbet began, about to use the word 'honoured' but remembered not to lie and so simply sighed "no" she said "it is not what I want...when I have my baby, I want them to be safe...I want them to live as far away from court as possible...somewhere in the North. Middleham. I want them to be raised in peace and not be contracted to someone their entire life...I want them to have a marriage of their choice! N-not one like this! I...we would be trapped forever! And so would my child"

Expecting a rage when she had finished, Lisbet shuffled away a little bit only to find her hand taken in a surprisingly gentle grip.

"I understand, dear one" Lizzie replied, drawing her cousin back towards her "but you know it is possible that you will never leave here?"
The Duchess nodded a little.
"I know...there is a chance" was all she could manage to say.

"I will prevent this betrothal. I promise you that I will! I will make Henry see sense, truly I will"Putting a hand to Lisbet's cheek, Lizzie smiled a little as she blew out the candle next to the bed "sleep" she said "and know that my husband shall never lay a hand on you again...I will make sure of it"

Lisbet smiled back as she lay her head down on the pillows and Lizzie did the same, pushing her hair back over her shoulders.
"Goodnight, Lizzie" she said and her cousin's face lit up at the sound of her old nickname, something she had never thought she would hear again from the woman next to her.

"Goodnight, dear one" she replied.

༒༒༒

The next morning

Clutching a rosary in her hand and making sure that the veil of her caul successfully hid her bleak expression, Lisbet entered the chapel of Westminster Palace and knelt before the alter, closing her eyes.