The Youngest York

"Sister?" Lisbet echoed in disbelief "b-but how

"Sister?" Lisbet echoed in disbelief "b-but how... how can I have a little sister?"
"Because I gave her life of course!" Marian replied with a laugh, kissing little Anne's head. Seeing her daughter's confusion, she sat down on the floor, gesturing for Lisbet to do the same and sitting Anne on her lap.

Lisbet slowly reached out and took the babe's hand, eying her with a little suspicion but a small smile as well, being unable to remain unaffected by the child's happy little face for long.
"When was she born?" She asked before looking up to her mother and Marian smiled.
"On May the twenty seventh of last year..."

"So she was...she was...made...in August then?"
"Aye...the night before the battle I believe..." Lisbet blushed deeply and Marian laughed "she is your sister, your father's daughter, ma chérie, of that there is no doubt...just look at her eyes"

Lisbet did as she was told and looked into the little one's eyes, gasping in delight when she found Anne's eyes were exactly the same as her father's, a mysterious dark blue.

"Her hair shows her Plantagenet blood too" she whispered, gently wrapping one of her sister's dark brown curls around her finger. Suddenly she let out an overjoyed cry and gathered the little one into her arms, making Anne squirm and giggle as her soft young face was peppered with affectionate kisses "Anne" Lisbet whispered "my own little sister Annie...I shall love you sweeting"

She looked up again to see her mother beaming down at her with pride.
"Are you happy?" Marian asked, joyful and relived tears in her eyes "to have a little sister"

Lisbet stood and twirled around, Anne safely in her arms.
"Mama! Through Annie I have another link to Papa! I have another little sister to take care of! Mama, I believe I am the happiest girl alive!" She kissed her little sister again before setting her on the floor and watching with fascination as Anne crawled into Marian's lap, taking to sucking the sleeve of her gown while her large eyes searched the room "do Ed and Ned know?"

"Yes! Yes they do! And so do Margaret and Cecily of course"
"I saw Grandmother Cecily kiss you, mama...I thought she hated you"

Marian laughed happily and shook her head.
"She did, my sweet, she did hate me...but now... now she calls me her 'dearest daughter' and with time I have begun to call her my mother...tis a most strange change! But is not one I dislike"

"I see you have met our little sister?" A voice called from the door and Lisbet turned to see Ned learning against the doorframe, grinning at the three before him.

Upon seeing her elder brother, Anne promptly let out a shriek in greeting and clambered from Marian's lap, up to her brother who bent down and laughed, scooping the one year old into his arms.

"There my little Annie!" He cooed affectionately as he tossed her into the air, making her crow with delight "your brother Ned is here!"

"Ah, I see Anne has already found herself a champion?" Lisbet murmured to her mother who nodded and laughed, fingers playing with her necklace. Her eyes were drawn to Lisbet's own pendant and they winded in surprise, hand leaving her neck to touch the oval ruby.