The Boar and the Dragon

April 1486

April 1486...

Eyes wide open, staring at the roof of the small, but pleasant, room, that she now shared with Meg in Westminster palace, Lisbet listened to the movements outside the door, the rustle of skirts and clank of armour making her shiver when they approached and then faded away down the corridors.

Finding she could stay still no longer, the Princess sat up, drawing her knees to her chest and looking around the small room that was lit (albeit dimly) by the sunlight that filtered through the small gaps in the shutters.

Apart from the double bed which she and her sister slept in, the room had a small hearth, a table beside it with a chess board, two coffers for gowns and the like, on top of which were a jug and bowl for washing and heavy tapestries lining the walls, depicting scenes of battles and mythical creatures.

All in all it was a cosy room and one that both Meg and Lisbet liked, though the latter constantly found herself missing the two chambers. Yes, she had been cooped up in there but she had been shut up for almost half a year and had grown accustomed to being with her sisters, cousins and Aunt at every second of the day. Now there was only her and Meg and both agreed it wasn't the same though they were grateful that they had each other.

Day and night they worried for their sisters who had stayed with their Aunt due to their youth and even though they knew Elizabeth would not let a hair on their heads be harmed, this knowledge did nothing to ease their anxiety.

What was one thing that pleased Lisbet was that she had found Francis' family chambers were next to her room and so the two friends were able to seek each other out more often then they had been able to previously do and could now often be found in the palace gardens, chasing each other around the gardens when they were free from adult supervision or leaning against a tree reminiscing about old times.

Lisbet let out a sigh as her gaze moved to one of the tapestries where she had hidden her piece of silk and the ruby ring behind a loose stone in the wall. Meg had been overjoyed when she had discovered that Lisbet still held something of their parents and would often ask her sister to bring the items out when they were alone just so she could look at them. She mostly chided herself for this as she would often end up crying in Lisbet's arms, clutching the ring and the material to her chest but found she could not help it, she had to keep the memory of her parents alive in her mind; feared daily that she would one day forget them.

"You're awake I see" Meg murmured as she rolled over, pulling the covers up to her chest.
"Indeed" Lisbet replied slowly, eyes still on the wall.

A knock came at the door and both girls practically jumped out of their nightgowns, immediately clutching each other's hands.
"Lisbet?" Lisbet it's me?" Francis said though the door and Lisbet sighed with relief.
"It's alright" she told her sister who nodded "it's only Francis.

Drawing her chamber robe around her, Lisbet opened the door and motioned for Francis (who blushed deeply as he always did when he saw her) to come inside. He sat on top of one of the coffers and Lisbet hopped up beside him, taking his hand "to what do we owe the pleasure of your visit?" She asked, grinning.
"Yes" Meg chimed in, pulling her own robe around her and settling herself by the fire "it is a little early, Francis, even for you!"