Fair Travels, Friend

Droplets of water dripped from her hair, down her freshly bathed skin and fell over her saree creating wet patches

Droplets of water dripped from her hair, down her freshly bathed skin and fell over her saree creating wet patches. The cascade of dark locks were wringed tightly in a quick practised precision then wrapped up in a thick dry cloth. Her skin was slightly pink from being submerged in  warm water. As soon as it came in contact with the cool air outside the bathing room, steam arose from her heated body. A soft heavy shawl was drapped over her shoulders.

Waving away the scented oil presented to her, Abhijishya slowly walked towards her chamber pleased at her lessened soreness of her muscles. In the past seven days, she had barely gotten time to sleep and bathe leisurely. It was to be expected. Newborn babies usually did not have any schedule. It didn't help that her daughter refused to let her leave for longer than a few minutes.

Today her little Anvi fell asleep after feeding which allowed her to slip away and take a relaxing bath. It was late in the afternoon. Daylight would last for a tentative three hours more before the temperature dropped further.

She entered her chamber to find her husband gently swaying their Anvi in his arms. His stance was still too carefull and stiff. Nakul couldn't get enough of holding their daughter. He was always full of pure adoration for his sweet princess. Abhijishya withheld an exasperated sigh as a blissful smile found her lips seeing his loving gaze on their baby's sleeping face no doubt memorizing this moment. Her husband was part of the reason their daughter would only fall asleep being swayed in their arms.

Abhijishya spotted Charu and Reva whisper amongst themselves mooning over the endearing sight near the dressing table where they were setting out light ornaments for her to adorn. Upon meeting her raised eyebrow, Charu smiled sheepishly before shrugging. Reva managed to look mildly apologetic. She had perfectly instructed them to remind Nakul not to take their daughter in his arms while she was asleep. Abhijishya rolled around her eyes and dismissed them. Nakul conveniently chose to forget her words against always cradling their daughter and her companions never said anything to him.

As expected, Anvi let out a fussy cry rubbing her small fists over her eyes. It was as if she could sense the tenseness of her father. Abhijishya strode forward immediately patting her baby's chest shushing her. Nakul stood as still as a stone not wanting to rouse his daughter. He watched in renewed fascination as his wife hummed an unknown lullaby and rhythmically patted their baby. After sometime, a yawn escaped the thin petal lips of the infant as she snuggled back into her father's embrace. Only then Nakul exhaled softly.

"How come you are so good at this?" He asked in a hushed tone. Abhijishya gestured him to keep quiet which Nakul obeyed without question. Guiding him to carefully sit down, she met his eyes then looked pointedly at the soft rag covered space in the middle of the bed surrounded by pillows. Nakul glanced at his daughter not willing to part just yet. She squirmed again in his hold which made him lay her down with care.

Abhijishya gazed lovingly at her sleeping daughter reminiscing an old memory in her mind. "Maa used to let me help her look after my sister when she was a baby. I learned everything from her," she whispered, her eyes shiny in wistfulness. She looked back at Nakul when his familiar rough hand interlaced with hers, "You know if you make an infant fall asleep in your arms and keep holding them it becomes a habit. Newborns then refuse to fall asleep without being surrounded by the familiar scent and warmth. So," she cleared her throat softly tucking away the ache of the family she had left behind in a cherished corner of her heart and intoned a bit playfully, "My dearest Arya, I am going to hunt you down if our daughter develops this behaviour because I would be the one who will be taking care of her always."