Intervening Fate

Love was supposed to be ice cream dates, coffee under blankets, pani puri eating at a road side stall and bike rides for Abhijishya. She wasn't really that optimistic that she would fall in love and be loved in return because that only happened to very lucky people. Luckier were those who got to stay in love.

She didn't really expect that much. But if she were lucky enough to love and be loved, she always wanted to make a small bubble for her partner and she; untouchable by the world's bleakness. It was supposed to be their little ball of happiness and bliss.

But love turned out to be Nakul, a character in books turned human and her reality overnight. His occasional comments on various medicinal plants, his care of animals, his pleased smile, his jokes, his loyalty to his family; everything about love became everything about him. She tried cautiously stepping down instead of falling; only for him to seize her hand and it felt like flying, breathing, living for the first time.

Abhijishya wasn't selfless completely. Oh she definitely wasn't. Because as she stood beside Mata Kunti, smiling, looking at Draupadi slowly approach the awaiting Pandavs on the mandap, prayers echoed from her very bones.

Let Nakul be hers.

Let her be his.

Her every exhale was silent I love yous to Nakul and she was drowning. You are supposed to be able to break or make any habit in 21 days. But if the first few hours felt this agonising, how was she supposed to survive. The weight of the small lotus pendant was the only thing keeping her from dissolving into a puddle of tears.

Nakul looked like a perfect Prince. Confident, solemn and handsome. As Draupadi stood in front of the flames of the holy fire, Nakul dared to look straight at Abhijishya.

She didn't know if she was hearing Nakul's voice in her mind now or it was just his voice echoing from the memory.

"The setting sun, the moon and the stars were the witness to our love in Kamyaka Forest as they are now. If you truly love me as I love you, then fate will have to bend before our love. The Gods won't let any other woman be my wife before you become mine and I become yours."

She looked back at him and both exhaled preparing to endure the wedding.

The sky slowly darkened and the winds picked up the pace. The mandap curtains blew all over.

Abhijishya looked up to see if there was a storm approaching but it wasn't that.

The Rajpurohit stood up abruptly and looked at the sky.

A ring of gold stared back instead of the blazing morning sun

A ring of gold stared back instead of the blazing morning sun. Stars were twinkling away merrily as if it was normal for them to be visible during the day.

It was an annular solar eclipse. The flabbergasted priest moved towards Bhagwan Vedvyas but his foot caught on a metal pitcher pot by mistake. The holy fire was extinguished with the holy water of Ganga.