Her Child of Past and Present

The moonlight streamed in through the window of the thatched hut giving some semblance of shapes in the darkness. Abhijishya walked around slowly lighting the earthen lamps from a small lit one she held in her palms. It had been a tiresome day and she felt both physically and mentally drained.

After paying their respect and offerings to Bhudevi, Jyesth had instructed them to start building shelters. They weren't a small group by any means. There were a total of 146 people including themselves. Then there were 32 horses, 13 cows, 7 calfs, 9 oxes and 12 goats. Stables and sheds needed to be built as well. Abhijishya was given the task to count the total people and the cattle. It was not an easy task. Especially when people were moving around.

Nakul and Sahadev were sent out to the nearby villages to get hay, oats and banana leaves. Arjun had gone to bring bamboo, firewood while Bheem along with a dozen men went to the banks of River Yamuna to bring clay. Draupadi along with the dasis took the responsibility of cooking for everyone. Abhijishya joined them after giving Jyesth Yudhisthir the total count.

They settled for preparing a simple meal instead of making an extravagant one. The grains they brought along with them would last for roughly three weeks if everyone ate three meals a day. All the people were quite co-operative so it wasn't as chaotic as Abhijishya had expected.

She wouldn't have realised the amount of hardwork goes into making a simple hut if she hadn't ended up in this situation. But it was comforting doing mindless chores as the physical strain helped her ignore the gaping chasm that seemed to have made home inside her. Nakul hadn't even spared her a glance the entire day.

Perhaps she should apologise but the echo of his words refused to let her approach him. So Abhijishya had remained immersed in aiding Yudhisthir. There was no mistaking the reverend gaze of the people whenever they spoke to Yudhisthir. It was different from the other Pandavs; the respect outshined the awe for him. His calm smile, patient explainations and humble nature made him adored by everyone. Abhijishya looked foward to see Yudhisthir as Samrat in a few years. It would be a sight to behold.

By evening, the huts were ready enough for people to sleep in. Sahadev said they would need to spread more hay on the roofs and slather clay on the walls. Mashals were lit outside along with bonfires. Dinner was a quiet affair as everyone was tired by then. People left for their hay beds soon after the meal was over.

Charu had insisted on lighting her hut but Abhijishya refused her help stating they all needed their rest as tomorrow would be a even busier day. She then had retired to the solitude of her hut. It was strange how the loneliness was both a needed and unwanted feeling. She almost expected Nakul to call out when she had walked away from the bonfire. Instead the little hope she felt was extinguished when Nakul had walked away with Sahadev towards the other side of her hut.

A tear trickled down her chin and fell on the flame making it flicker. Abhijishya didn't bother to wipe her face. She reached to light another lamp when the vacant silence was disturbed by the familiar thumps of footsteps. She stilled and closed her eyes.

Abhijishya could feel Nakul's presence near her. With shaky hands, she kept on lighting the lamps refusing to even look back. She couldn't bear another look of contempt from him.

"Mohini," Nakul murmured. Abhijishya froze as she held the earthern lamp in front of the wick.

"Won't you even look at me?"he quietly said. She clutched the lamp hard in her palm and drew in her shoulders. A callous palm touched her arm. Abhijishya flinched hard and lost grip of the lamp. It went clattering across the floor. The hand immediately drew back.

Her arms curled around her form in a feeble attempt to hold herself together. Abhijishya refused to cry when she wanted to be angry. But there was only raw pain within her and yearning of her husband's soothing touch. For the next few moments, Abhijishya didn't hear anything. Even the faint noises from outside had stopped as if the world itself was waiting for the following minutes with bated breath.