Leaving Hastinapur

Nakul stood motionless beside Sahadev. A few moments earlier a dasi left under the orders of Mata Kunti asking Abhijishya to be present in the common sitting room after lunch. Draupadi informed them that she had not seen Abhijishya from morning. Arjun was the last one to converse with her before he left her in the indoor archery arena at dawn to attend to his daily duties. Nakul tried not to think of his brother's look of disappointment upon getting no reaction from him.

The Pandavs awaited her arrival along with Draupadi and Mata Kunti. It was peculiar how Nakul's eyes refused to glance away from the doorway. Perhaps seeking her everywhere became a habit ingrained in his psyche without him consciously noticing it.

Her familiar figure walked in unhurriedly through the entrance. She had chosen to dress in a green veil with maroon lehenga. Nakul noted the emerald studded gold girdle. His eyebrows crinkled. The ruby one would have looked better. She stopped a fair distance away from them which would not be considered polite for conversation.

"Pranipaat. I was told that Mata Kunti would like to spend some time with me," Abhijishya said with joined hands. Her eyes flashed towards Nakul for a moment before being lowered.

"Kalyan ho, putri. Come closer," Mata Kunti smiled as she beckoned her. Abhijishya returned her smile with a slight curl of her lips. Nakul had seen that before when Abhijishya mentally prepared herself for a difficult conversation. She had that pasted on her face while she spoke to Mahalekhapal in Dwarka. Mata Kunti placed her hand on her shoulder,"I thought we all should spend sometime together before you all leave Hastinapur."

"A splendid idea, Mata but we still have another five days before we leave," Abhijishya tilted her head. A few strands of her hair escaped her braid and fell over her eyes. Nakul's hand twitched. She brushed them aside absentmindedly. There were thin slashes on her forearm which were covered with a turmeric sandalwood paste such that it blended well with her skin tone making the wounds almost unnoticeable. But it did not escape Nakul's watchful gaze. He frowned. She should have been more careful while stringing her bow.

Yudhisthir glanced at Draupadi then at Kunti before settling his eyes on Abhijishya. "It has been decided that we shall depart tomorrow at first light. With the recent circumstances as they are, it is better that we leave for Khadavprasth as soon as possible."

Abhijishya stiffened minutely before nodding. "As you wish, Jyesth." The chamber was once again engulfed in uncomfortable silence.

Bheem let out a frustrated breath. "When did we become so hesitant towards each other?" Then he addressed Abhijishya," I am not happy that you chose to hide it from us. That Sushasan has crossed all limits. You are his sister-in-law and he dares to nurture unacceptable interest towards you. And here I thought the Kauravs could fall any lower." He shook his head.

"I am sorry," Abhijishya lowered her head. "I wanted to avoid further complications. As Arya is still recovering and finally previous arguments regarding ascension of the throne of Hastinapur was settled, I did not want to add wind to the embers so I did not say anything."

"But you have understand that being aware about the enemy is important. Now that we know about Sushasan we can be more careful regarding him," Arjun added softly. Abhijishya nodded. "I understand. I should have informed you all." Nakul scoffed out loud. Sahadev pointedly ignored him and stepped forward.

"It is clear that Sushasan conspired against Bhrata Nakul and it was Suyodhana who dealt with the loose end. But," Sahadev looked at Yudhisthir "as Jyesth has already accepted Khandavprasth he cannot announce war against Hastinapur and we can't expect justice from Tatshree. So it is best that we leave at the earliest. Also..." Sahadev trailed off and glanced at Kunti.