From Partisan to Partition

Everyone looked surprised at the owner of the fierce feminine voice which unbalanced the entire court. Never before a woman had raised her voice in a Royal Court over a King's order. Shakuni was the first one to get himself together.

"Who do you think you are to speak over the word of Maharaj?" sneered Gandharraj Shakuni.

Abhijishya smiled. "A mere wellwisher as it looks like my position as the Kuru Kulvadhu is questionable to Rajkumar Suyodhana even after Maharani Gandhari's acceptance yesterday."

Then she joined her hands and turned towards Maharaj Dhritarastra. "Please forgive me if I have spoken out of bounds as a daughter-in-law who fervently wishes to protect the repute of her Tatshree who is Maharaj but before that a Ksatriya."

Suyodhana scoffed and pushed aside Nakul's sword from his neck. "And enlighten us, what does my father's Ksatriya dharma have to do Nakul's punishment?"

"Everything," she calmly said. "It is considered unrighteous for a Ksatriya to go back on one's sworn words, Rajkumar. Yesterday, Maharaj swore that he would do justice by me. As you questioned my character, you have insulted not only me but also my late parents which makes you viable for punishment."

"Putri Abhijishya speaks truly, Maharaj. Rajkumar Suyodhana insulted the Kuru Kulvadhu. Even him being the Yuvraj, does not excuse his grave misconduct," Vidur said.

Dhritarastra looked torn between his duty as a King and his blind love for his son.

Shakuni intervened seeing the situation moving out of hand. "Maharaj, we are being diverted from the main issue of concern which is Pandavs marriage to Panchal Rajkumari Draupadi."

Before Dhritarastra could reply, Mahamahim Bhisma said," Gandharnaresh, I believe Kuru Kulvadhu's honour is of more importance at this moment."

Shakuni gave a fake smile. "Of course, Mahamahim. After all who knows better than you in regards of respecting Rajkumaris."

Bhisma tensed at the reminder and he looked away.

"Whether I insulted Abhijishya or not shouldn't matter. Nakul took to arms and tried to kill me, the Yuvraj. Maharaj already sentenced him for that. Since when did Hastinapur delay in carrying out justice?" Suyodhana said loudly.

"He raised his sword in defence of my honour, Rajkumar, the Kulvadhu of Hastinapur. My honour is Kuru clan's dignity. He has acted on his virtue as a husband and as a Rajkumar while you targeted and questioned my character, insulted me. Maharaj must honour his words and call off his order," Abhijishya said.

Suyodhana smirked. "A King never takes back his orders. Well, what can be expected from a low-born like you? You know nothing of Royal matters."

"I find myself aghast that you nurture such a dangerous notion, Rajkumar. It is moral for a King to take back his orders if his orders contradict his previously given oath. I am sure Kakashree agrees with me," Abhijishya looked at Vidur.

"Once again putri Abhijishya is right. It is stated so in the scriptures as well as in Hastinapur's book of Law," then Bidur turned to Maharaj and said," Rajkumar Suyodhana keeps on insulting our Kulvadhu, Maharaj. You must take back Nakul's sentence and punish Rajkumar Suyodhana's audacity."

Dhritarastra knew what had to be done. "I," he took a deep breath. "I pardon Nakul's action of raising his sword as he acted on my behalf of doing justice by Abhijishya which I momentarily failed at."

The relief was clear in the faces of the Pandavs and Draupadi. Abhijishya gave no reaction outwardly. She knew she would've saved Nakul anyway; even if she had to flee the kingdom with him. But everything was not over.