Haldi-laced Anticipation

Early morning, Abhijishya bathed and went to the Gauri temple to gain the blessings of Goddess Gauri. She was accompanied by Draupadi, the Panchal Prime Minister's wife and a few dasis.

Draupadi remained silent. All attempts at conversation resulted in curt short replies and tense silence. Abhijishya gave up all together. She really didn't want to ruin her mood.

The Prime Minister's wife too was pointedly polite. It was the most uncomfortable she had ever left.

Nonetheless, Abhijishya did puja to Mata Gauri and prayed with all her heart.

Later, in the afternoon, she was dressed in yellow garments. Abhijishya suspected it was her haldi ceremony. She really wished Mata Kunti would be there but she suspected widows didn't take part in any wedding ceremonies.

 She really wished Mata Kunti would be there but she suspected widows didn't take part in any wedding ceremonies

The dasis applied haldi paste on her arms and legs. One of the dasis was about to apply it on her face, when Abhijishya felt a mild burning sensation on her skin. She frowned as she picked up some of the paste with her finger. She examined it.

"Stop," she ordered. Without delay, she went to the bathing room and immersed herself in the cold water. She rubbed her arms and legs swiftly to get rid of the paste. But the damage was done.

Red blotches appeared on her arms and legs where the paste was applied. Someone had mixed chilli paste with the haldi. Abhijishya gritted her teeth. Her skin still had the burning sensation. If only there were some ice.

She got out of the water and walked to where the dasis were standing.

"Change the water," she said sharply. "Yadavkumari, did we do anything wrong?" One dasi asked with her head bowed.

"Someone mixed chilli paste with the haldi," Abhijishya said with a deadly calm voice. "I want the guilty party to be presented before me right now."

The dasis broke into whispers.

Abhijishya looked at the dasi who was putting haldi on her. "You, were you the only one involved or did you have any partners in this crime?"

"I don't know anything, Yadavkumari," the dasi replied with her head bowed.

"Really? You think I am stupid? How didn't you feel the chillies in your hands?" Abhijishya asked sharply.

The dasi remained silent.

"Let's see if you are immune to the paste or not. Go and bring the paste that was put on my body," she ordered another dasi.

That dasi went away quickly.

"I am asking for the last time. Whose idea was this? If that person comes forward then I'll spare this dasi," she said loudly. From the corner of her eyes, she noticed a shadow behind the curtains darting away.

Meanwhile, the dasi who was supposed to bring the haldi paste ran to their Rajkumari. "Rajkumari, Rajkumari. Please save Supriya, Rajkumari," she said hurriedly.