water balloons

Y/N POV

i'm bored, i typed on my phone. i tapped send, and less than a second later, billie's (my best friend) phone made the ding noise, signifying a new message. i looked at her until she opened it, and when she looked at me with an are you serious look, i grinned.

i looked back down at my phone and typed again.

"y/n, i'm right h—"

"shh!" i said, holding up my finger as i continued typing with the other hand. let's do something fun, i sent.

her phone rang again, and billie rolled her eyes, but she looked at it anyway. she looked up to answer me, but when i refused to meet her eyes, she looked back at her phone and typed.

"oh my god" she muttered under her breath. as she typed, i took in her tank top, underwear, and the hairs sticking to her forehead with sweat. her look only confirmed that i had the perfect idea.

my phone rang, and i looked down to read the message. what do you want to do?

i smirked as i sent her a message back. when she read it a few seconds later, she looked up at me in confusion.

"you just sent me emojis. a drop of water, a balloon, and a boxing glove?" she said. this time i rolled my eyes.

"you can figure it out."

billie looked down to inspect her phone, and my heart flipped when her brows creased in concentration because she always looked so cute when she did that. i knew she put it together when her concentrated look was replaced with a look of here it comes.

behind that look, though, i saw excitement, but it was never that easy with billie. no matter how exciting something seemed to be, she always thought it was a bad idea. she was usually right, but we never regretted it, and that was the point.

i looked at billie with my eyebrows raised.

"it's too hot to have a water balloon fight, y/n!" billie finally said, throwing her phone mindlessly to the couch.

"oh, would you prefer we have it when it's snowing?" i asked.

"no, asshole but it's too hot." she said, a ghost of a smile on her face.

"that's the point! the water balloon fight will cool us down." i said, walking over to sit beside her. far enough to not touch her though, it was too hot for human contact.

"do we even have balloons?" billie asked as she stood up and sat behind me. she started to take out my bun.

"yeah, i have some left over from—"

"no you don't." billie said right away.

"you bought them. sometime this week, probably." she said defeated. she knows me so well, i thought as billie grabbed my hair up to a neater bun.

"so is that a yes?" i asked.

"what? i didn't even say anything."

"you didn't say no." i sang as billie sat in front of me again.

billie stared at me for a second, thinking for a moment, before finally giving in.

"okay, fine. we'll have a water balloon fight."

"yes!" i said as i stood up to go get the balloons from under my bed. i got to my room and looked underneath the bed before reaching for a black box i kept random stuff in. (I don't like having a drawer with random things, so i chose to have a box under the bed instead. much neater.)

i grabbed the bag filled with small colorful balloons before walking back to billie, who was now laying upside down on the couch. her feet were hanging in the air, and her head was almost touching the floor. her tank top rode up, and her exposed abs almost made me take back the balloon fight and suggest going back to the bedroom instead.