TEN

Salma how dare you? What gives you the audacity to talk to me like that? You have no respect towards your elders.

How can a man like you talk about respect? For three good years, uncle for three good years you and your family have made my life nothing but a living hell.

Salma looked at him and his wife angrily and said uncle respect is reciprocal you respect me and I respect you.

You snatched away my happiness how can I respect you? I tried so hard to understand you to put myself in your shoes but I can't do that anymore.

I begged you not to touch this room but you won't listen. You leave me no choice uncle you leave me no choice.

She looked at the man Janet brought and said hello Mr Sani this here she said and pointed towards the door and said will be what you guard.

You will protect this room at all costs. If anyone retaliates or if anyone tries to get access to this room, you are allowed to use force.

If you need to relieve yourself you can use the bathroom here she said and pointed a door which was almost invincible.

She looked back at him and said you will exchange shifts after twelve hours with another man.

Do not leave this door defenseless protect it like your life depends on it. And if anyone except me happens to open that door and enter that room I do not know what I would do.

Yes ma'am do not worry he said and walked to her dads room and stood in front of the door. Salma turned around and walked out of the house.

She was halfway to the car when her hair was grabbed and she was turned around. Before she could brace herself a slap landed on her left cheek and she was thrown away.

She held her cheek and looked at her uncle Bala. You are shameless, stupid and outright disrespectful Salma.

She stood up and looked at him. Good if I am shameless, stupid and outright disrespectful what are you?

Are you even human? You are a man who leeches off of his late younger brothers family. You are greedy and inhuman.

Anyone who takes that which belongs to an orphan shall be thrown in the hell fire. Have you forgotten?

You call yourself a malam yet you took a hundred million dollars from mine and Salim's inheritance.

You also forced me to pay for all your expenses do you think I would have endured that if you weren't my elder and my fathers brother?

What gives you the right to call me shameless and disrespectful? I agree that am stupid because only a stupid woman would tolerate you and your family.

SALMA!!! He raised his hand to slap her but someone caught it and to my greatest surprise it was the man who sat in the passengers seat.

You deal with aunt later she said and entered inside the car and closed the door. The minute they left the house she cried.

She cried like her life depended on it. As she cried some words slipped from her mouth. Why me?

I should have died. I should've been the one that with umma and abba when they died. Why am I always miserable.

She raised her hand and said ya Allah I know you are just and when you shared happiness you did not forget me.

Ya Allah please grant me eternal happiness. I know you won't test a servant of yours with more than he can shoulder so I will do my best and pass this test.