FIFTY THREE

Salma walked inside their room after a long talk with umma and ignored Naseem who was sitting on the bed.

He looked at her before looking away.

She stood inside the bathroom by the sink brushing her teeth when Yusuf knocked on the door and walked in.

He looked at Naseem and said dad where is mami?

She's in the bathroom.

Yusuf walked to the bathroom and saw her brushing her teeth. Mami come and have some fruits that I bought.

She looked at him alright but that means I'll have to brush my teeth again.

He smiled and left the room.

They spent some time there before returning to Nigeria.

A FEW YEARS LATER

Salma woke up as early as seven and opened the curtains of the room. Naseem who was asleep opened his eyes and looked at her.

She walked away from the curtains and walked to the bathroom she brushed her teeth and washed her face before coming out

She looked at him and they made eye contact. She said a low good morning to him and walked to the door.

Are you just going to keep living like this?

Like what?

She turned around and looked at him with a raised eyebrow. She looked at the clock and said I need to make breakfast for the kids.

She walked downstairs and made a quick cheese spaghetti and meatballs for breakfast before making fried yam and eggs for lunch.

She placed two bottles of frozen orange juice in Yusuf's lunchbox and closed it before taking the twins boxes and putting a medium sized bottle of frozen milkshake for each.

Yusuf hugged her and said morning mom.

Morning son. I made spaghetti and meatballs.

That's great and lunch

yam and eggs.

Boiled or fried?

Boiled.

Thank you mom you're a the best.

I will pick you up after lessons.

Won't it be tiring?

No it won't.

Shall we go to Lagos after your WAEC?

Mami!

What?

I will think about it.

He walked back to the kitchen and salma followed with her eyes.

Naseem hugged her from behind and said I can't believe our son is graduating secondary school.