TWENTY

She looked at the mirror after putting the veil over her head covering her hair.

She tested the dress and was comfortable before going downstairs to the main living room

She saw two women seating with a load of drinks and snacks in front of them. She smiled and said "hello" before fully arriving.

She took a seat and said "good morning I am Salma Muhammad Mai Na'am the one who will be writing the exam this morning."

The woman with the black kimono nodded and said "hello dear I am Mrs Emmanuelle Obinwa and I am from the WAEC office.

With me is Mrs Hadiza from Vintage Memorial. We are here to administer your WAEC exam."

Salma sat down on the large dinning table big enough to fit twenty people and Mrs Emmanuelle gave her the question paper and answer sheet.

Salma prayed and started writing the exam. She finished the two hours paper in fifty minutes and handed it to her.

The same morning salma received a phone call from an unknown number and it was an overseas number.

She picked up and said "hello!"

"Salma!"

"Yes, good evening? How was your trip? Have you arrived there safely?"

His deep voice came in once again as he said "if you were curious you'd have called me already."

But I don't have your number salma though but said I am sorry out loud.

"It's fine I know you don't have the number."

"Bae Ya Sahla might call and tell you to go to the house for a family meeting. You don't have my permission.

You are not allowed to go and if you step out of the house without my permission then you will face the consequences have I made myself clear?"

Is this man okay? Did he just call me Bae? She shook off her crazy thoughts and listened.

"Yes Insha Allah I won't go since you did not approve."

That's my good girl. Allah yayi miki albarka salmana" he said and hung up. 

Salma who was in the private living room looked at the phone dumbfounded.