THIRTY SEVEN

Salma entered their room and slammed the door shut. She took the telephone and called for Basira.

Junior ran to her and sat on her lap while Basira stood by the door.

"Take the key on the table and go out. The car I was taking out is there. Open the trunk and take out the two bags.

Give them to one of the drivers and have him take them to umma's place. Take this note and put it in one of the bags. Tell him to leave a message that there is a note in the bag"

She turned on the TV for Naseem and as usual it was umar and Hana. As he watched the cartoon salma thought back to what happened earlier.

Even now that she is calm she still doesn't get what she did wrong. Yes she might have gone a bit too far but she wasn't wrong.

Naseem is just too blind to see it. She walked to the bathroom and took off her clothes before taking a shower.

She dried herself and put on her pajamas before heading out. She saw him on the couch watching TV with junior but she chose to ignore his existence.

She laid on her side of the bed and closed her eyes. Naseem turned around after a while and saw her sleeping.

Her phone started ringing but she didn't pick up. After the ringing died down Naseem's phone stared.

He looked at the caller "hello umma"

"Naseem are you at home?"

"Yes. Is everything alright?"

"Is salma with you?"

"Yes but she is asleep"

"No wonder I called and she didn't pick up"

"Is something wrong umma?"

"No. It's just that I wanted to scold her"

"What for?"

"Just now your driver brought some stuff and said they are from her. After reading the note I realized it was her own contribution to Dawood's lefe.

I clearly told these girls no need for formalities. Dawood is old enough to make his lefe himself but she didn't listen. And this stuff must have cost a fortune."

"Umma I will talk to her don't worry"

"Tell her to call me tomorrow morning"

After he ended the call he looked at Naseem who was asleep and picked him up. He took him to his room where his nanny was already.

He returned to the room and decided to wake her up. She sat up and looked straight without saying anything.

Salma what was that earlier?

She looked at him "whatever you take it as"

"They were my important guests salma you shouldn't have done that?"

Salma scoffed and looked at him. "You don't get it do you? Till now you haven't told me who they are? What they mean to you?"

"They are the children of a man whom I respect a lot when he was alive"

Salma was shocked and it showed "that's it? That's all? So you guys aren't even blood related? And they had the audacity to look at me like that in my own house? And also treat my helps like trash?

Not just that. And you because of some total strangers you talked to me in that tone? Had they been close no distant relatives wallahi I wouldn't complain.

But for mare strangers who's late father happen to be someone you respect. You stopped me from going out and even sent me upstairs.

You even smiled for them, laughed with them and ate the food I cooked with them. I don't remember seeing you smile as much as you did today.

Wow Abdulahad you really exceeded my expectations. At first I thought they were your relatives with the smiles and all but it turns out."

"Salma don't make a mountain out of a molehill. Agreed I have a soft spot for them. But it's only because of the pity I have for them they're orphans"

Salma made an innocent face "so they are orphans?"

Naseem looked at her strangely. "So what if they are orphans? Because they are orphans you have to have a soft spot of them?

Because they are orphans they get to disrespect your wife? To top it all you disrespect your wife for them? If it's because they are orphans you shouldn't have a soft spot for them alone.

They're are hundreds, millions of orphans out there you should have a soft spot for them." She prepared to go back to sleep but stopped and looked at him.

"It's seems that you are forgetting something. That I am also an Orphan who has been through hell"

She closed her eyes and ignored the life out of him. Honestly she's not expecting an apology but she wants him to know how wrong he was.

She left him there thinking back to her last sentence. He didn't get over it when he heard her crying softly.

Oh ni salma marainiyar Allah.

The next morning she took her bath and got dressed in something light.

She walked downstairs and saw breakfast had already been made

She walked downstairs and saw breakfast had already been made. She heard some movements and turned around.

It was Naseem in a suite as usual. She looked at him and said good morning like she usually says every morning.

He replied with the usual tone like nothing happened. She walked upstairs and came back down with junior in hand.

She let him go and he ran to Naseem who picked him up. Dada! He said. Naseem held him as he ate while salma prepared her breakfast which was a toast and tea.

She looked at the message that just came in and smiled. She sent a reply before looking at Naseem.

"Salim just finished his exams so summer break will start soon. He wants to come and spend the holidays with me. Can he stay here"

"I get it you're still upset but do not insult me to this extent salma

"I get it you're still upset but do not insult me to this extent salma."

She looked at him with innocent eyes.

"Stop looking at me innocently. Just less than ten hours ago you said this house is yours. It is yours salma you don't need my permission. And salim is not someone who needs my permission to stay in this house"