The Girl by the Fireplace

That night Harley waited until Draco came back. Because he probably would want to talk after all that happened at dinner. And Harley needed to know more about Moody because if the slytherin prince was the first target, next would be the princess. Also ,why not admit it, she felt bad for him.

Apparently he got detention too. Harley thought it was unfair, he had gotten bounced up and down, humiliated before the whole school but that wasn't enough. He had to do detention as well.

Gideon waited with her for a while. He thought that Moody's presence was probably an after math of the incident at the world cup. And it could be. But Harley had a feeling that no one in the right mind wanted the DADA position. Except for professor Snape .And Dumbledore was determined to not give him that .

Gideon shared her fears too. His only relief was that his father worked for the ministry and was previously a student of Beauxbatons and thus wasn't in slytherin. Though his mother... Ophelia Moon is the sister of Rodolphus and Rabastan Lestrange who were deatheaters. Ones who were hardcore enough to admit their crimes and go to Azkaban.

When the common room started emptying, Pansy dragged Gideon away and told Harley to stay back. Harley wondered if Pansy had a crush on Gideon or something. She was very adamant at separating him from Harley. She had to grill Gideon for more info later .

•••••••••••••••••••••••

When Draco came back after his detention ,he found Harley, alone in the common room, seated on a couch watching the flames dance.
He sat beside her. If she noticed his presence, she didn't act like it. But it was obvious that she was waiting for him.

They sat together watching flames in comfortable silence for a while.

"How did it go"
It was terrible. Cleaning trophies with a rag without no magic was no mean task. Not that he'd ever admit out loud that anything was too much.

"Polishing trophies .With Filch"

"Snape let you off easy, huh? "
Easy? She calls that easy? Harley Black who never got a proper detention so far dares to call it easy?

"I suppose it's 'cause you are his favorite. "
He scoffed. As if. Everyone knew Harley Black was Snape's all time favorite. But Draco wasn't going to give her the satisfaction by saying it out loud.

"Or maybe it's cause you suffered enough at Moody's hands? "

Draco looked down hiding the blush rising up his face . Not that she was looking at him. All while they talked, she was looking ahead at the fire.

It was embarrassing enough that almost the whole school witnessed it. But Harley thought he suffered too. Not that she was wrong. He was still feeling very sore from all that bouncing.

"Are you alright? " Harley had now turned to him. Draco didn't look up, he didn't want her to see his face. He didn't need her pity. She continued to look at him but didn't speak for a while.

"Pansy was worried that you're hurt. "
Pansy was worried? Not her?
"I'm not hurt" Draco turned to face Harley and snapped. Harley raised an eyebrow .

"You were one step away from crying."
"I wasn't "

"Oh please. You had tears in your eyes. You winced. You flinched at every step you took after that ."
Draco placed his hand on his face, partially covering it.
"Can you just spare whatever is left of my dignity? "

Harley laughed as if crushing his pride under her heels.
"I wouldn't have said all that if it weren't for your lie. Have you ate? "
"What does it-" His stomach chose that very moment to rumble.

Harley snorted. "I'd take that as a no" When he looked at her she looked -sad? Disappointed? Draco couldn't identify the expression. He was just starting to figure her out, after all. But it seemed closer to pity than mirth.

"I have some pudding with me, want some? "She asked
"No. My mom sent me sweets in the morn-"

A box zoomed in from the girls dorms. Draco looked at Harley again. Her wand wasn't drawn. That's when he realized that expression must have been one of concentration. And Harley just did a spell ,wandless.

"Did you just-? "
"Yeah" she said sheepishly "I had to try a couple of times though "

"But-"
"I got motivation. You performed a nonverbal. And I can't let you get ahead of me"
She said as she opened the box and handed it to him. When Draco hesitated, she forced a spoon into his hand.

His first instinct was to knock it away. He hated it when someone forced him to do something. Never mind that he could never make any decision that matters, but at least he had the choice to whether or not eat his dinner at his home .

"I had made it with Clyde "She smiled. But there was a threat behind it. If he threw it, she'd never let him go. Draco gulped .Harley was watching him with a maniac expression.

Draco ate a spoonful .No point in resisting food when his stomach was practically digesting him. Especially when someone looked ready to murder him if he didn't eat. It was mango flavored and surprisingly delicious. Better than anything at Hogwarts.

Harley turned to the fire after she saw that he was waiting. This was a side of Harley he never knew existed. Harley, as far as he knew was all tough and had a badass attitude and wouldn't hesitate to hex you to the stratosphere

But she was also a patient listener. And a good singer, Draco remembered. She had sung like a siren when she was drunk. And apparently a good cook too. Draco wondered if there was anything Harley was bad at.
He asked her.

Harley laughed. "Yeah. Make up. I'm terrible at it "
"you don't wear makeup "
"Your point? "
"You don't need it anyway "

Harley didn't reply. Instead she took the now empty box from him ,closed it and kept it on the arm of the couch.

"You want to talk? " She asked after a while. "It's getting late"

Draco did want to talk but he was hesitant and he didn't really know what should he tell her either. He just wanted to talk to her.

"Alright then, you can go"
"I don't need your permission to leave, and what I meant is there is no need for me to stay awake for no reason. But if you need to talk I'll stay. "

"No.. I... Just leave, Harley. I'm fine "
Draco said that but his thoughts were different. He wanted her to stay. To talk to him. And he wasn't fine. At all.
He wished that she wouldn't leave but he would never say it out loud.

"Fine then. I'm going "
Harley stood up and tucked the empty box into her bag. Before he could realize what he was doing, Draco jumped to his feet.

"Wait-"
Draco stopped himself. How stupid of him! But Harley had heard him and now turned around to face him.
"What? "

"Just wanted to say goodnight "
Not really but he couldn't admit that. Harley snorted. Then she regained her composure and smiled before sitting down again.

"On second thought, I'll stay awhile longer "
Draco tried to hide his embarrassment. She figured it out so easily. But he sits next to her all the same. Infact he sat closer to her this time, intentionally or not.

"Draco, do you think I'll be the next? "
Harley asked after a while. He didn't ask her to specify, he knew what she was talking about. Moody.

"I don't know. Maybe. You'd be better off if you keep to the shadows. Blend in. "
Draco did want to assure her that she'd be fine. But that'd be a lie. He knew very well that she could be the next like any other person from his house. He didn't want to give her false assurances.

Harley simply nodded. When she looked up though, she looked unexpectedly cheerful.
"Wonder what animal he'd make me. "

My apologies for the trashy titles. Honestly I have no idea how to give all the chapters individual titles .
Hats off to uncle Rick
Then again he isn't famous for no reason .