Chapter 5 - Senior Monk of Tianzhu

Early this morning, Yaoying had a cup of cane syrup and cheese cherries. She reclined on the fabric woven mat under the veranda, leaning against a soft cushion, looking through the account books sent from various places.

  The breeze was smooth, and the veranda was filled with colorful flowers.

  From deep in the corridor suddenly came a rush of footsteps.

  A maidservant from the Noble Consort Xie's palace hurriedly came over.

  "Your Highness, Her Lady is having another attack!"

  Yaoying immediately put down her account book, stepped on her wooden clogs, and hurried down the long corridor to rush to the main hall's bedchamber.

  Just as she passed through the winding corridor, chaotic voices came from up ahead. A middle-aged woman with disheveled hair and a thin and haggard face came directly toward her, staggering as she crookedly stumbled along.

  Seven or eight palace maids gathered around her, wanting to help but afraid of scaring her.

Yaoying walked up quickly, her eyebrows knitted slightly, and said softly, "Aniang, it's me."

  Her voice was like the spring breeze, so gentle that it could drip out flower dew.

  Noble Consort Xie brushed her loose hair away haphazardly. Her eyes looked bewildered and she showed a confused look: "Ming Yue Nu*......where's erlang? He said he was coming to see me today....."

  Yaoying gently supported her arm, her voice soft: "Aniang, elder brother wrote back saying there was a delay on the road. It will take two more days to return."

  Noble Consort Xie froze and very cautiously asked, "Really?"

  Yaoying held her mother and guided her back, patiently coaxing, "Really, elder brother would be back in two days."

  Noble Consort Xie's eyes drifted, and her mouth continued to repeat over and over again: Erlang, come back.

  Yaoying very patiently assured her, "Second brother will come back."

  After coaxing, she sent Noble Consort Xie back to her bedchamber.

  A palace maid brought the freshly decocted medicine.

Yaoying washed her hands, took a comb and combed Noble Consort Xie's long hair, helping to make her presentable, and fed her the medicine by hand.

  The medicine was sweetened with sour plums.

  Noble Consort Xie obediently drank the medicine, then suddenly reached out and touched Yaoying's cold wrist.

  The weather was getting warmer and Yaoying didn't like the heat. Today, she wore a pomegranate ruqun with an open collar with a small clusters of scattered flowers design. The light top had wide and loose sleeves and the outer brocade short coat covered half her arm. Raising her hand made the sleeve slip down, exposing her white wrist like congealed frost.

  Noble Consort Xie tenderly asked, "Ming Yue Nu, are you cold?

  As she spoke, she grabbed a shawl from the other side of the couch, covering her daughter's shoulders.

  Her mouth repeatedly urged: "Don't catch a cold.... Ming Yue can't catch a cold.... you must take medicine every day....."

  Gentle and loving, it felt like the past.

  Yaoying felt slightly sore at heart, shaking her head: "Aniang, I'm not cold." She continued to feed Noble Consort Xie medicine.

Even when deranged and crazy, Aniang still remembered to care for her.