Chapter 45: Settling Accounts

Taiji Palace, Liangyi Hall.

It was blisteringly hot that water was sprinkled in front of the courtyard steps. The sun rising from the east shone through the wispy clouds like bird feathers, casting a large golden beam of light. The bumpy tile floor gleamed with wet sparkling light, looking like a body of clear water from afar.

The eunuchs entered the palace hall to report that the Seventh Princess requested an audience.

Li De looked up from the pile of documents with surprise his face.

If not for important events, the two siblings Li Zhongqian and Li Yaoying rarely came to see him on their own initiative.

The eunuch reminded Li De in a whisper: "Your Majesty, the Seventh Princess has been constantly running around to have Qin wang rescued these days."

Li De put down the half-read memorial in his hand, his brows slightly creased.

"Military affairs, why is a young girl like her who does not leave home getting involved?"

The eunuch hesitated for a moment and bowed, "Your Majesty, Qin wang and the Seventh Princess have deep feelings for each other. Qin wang was ambushed, his life and death unknown, so naturally, the Seventh Princess is anxious. You should see the Seventh Princess."

Li De raised his eyes, sweeping a faint glance at the eunuch.

Although the eunuch's head was bowed down, he was still so frightened he trembled. He said with an increasingly respectful expression, "Your Majesty, forgive me. This old slave has spoken too much."

Li De looked at him, his phoenix eyes shining: "You are the old man beside zhen, usually the most cautious and experienced. Even when Zheng Yu begs you, you still have to weigh and consider it first. Why make an exception for the Seventh Princess today?"

The eunuch was sweating, about to explain, when Li De waved his hand.

"Let her in."

The eunuch saluted in answer and withdrew from the inner hall. Standing at the threshold, he closed his eyes and slowly exhaled a long breath.

Accompanying the ruler was like accompanying a tiger. His Majesty was warning him to have less dealings with the ministers of the Hall of Government Affairs in the future.

The eunuch took a moment to calm down. Putting a smile on his face, he walked to the end of the long corridor, and said to Li Yaoying who was standing at the bottom of the court steps with her back to him, "Seventh Princess, His Majesty invites you in."

Yaoying turned around. Her face, bathed in the morning sunlight, was as pale as the first snowfall, which made her eyes darker and brighter. Her lightly knitted eyebrows seemed to be covered with the expression like a lonely willow in the springtime.

A pear blossom in springtime rain, a precious and exquisite flower in snow, lovely and pitiful, charming and delicate, but also possessing a sort of heavenly posture and confidence in herself.

Under the moonlight in Yaotai, with clear and outstanding nobleness, the intention was so lofty and clean.

Inwardly, the eunuch thought that whoever saw such a Seventh Princess, would not be able to bear stopping her outside the hall.

Yaoying raised her eyes. Standing in the bright sunlight, she sized up the entrance with neatly arranged roof tiles between the flying eaves of the palace hall5 before slowly making her way up the flight of steps.

The eunuch saw her face was haggard, her footsteps unstable, looking as if she could not stand on her own. His heart could not bear it and signaled a young palance attendant to go forward to help her.