Chapter 32: Tribal Chief Seeks Marriage

Yaoying followed behind the eunuch and slowly climbed the moss-stained steps.

  The stars were fading away and the first rays of morning light were peeking out.

  The bell announcing the break of dawn resonated throughout the entire palace.

Through the vermillion-paneled windows, one could see the flickering candlelight. Li De, diligent in government affairs, would summon the Hall of Government Affairs ministers practically daily to discuss official business. The candle flame in the inner hall would be lit all night.

The eunuch entered the hall to report.

Yaoying stood above the red courtyard. Looking back at the magnificent palace located halfway up the mountainside in the distance, her white-as-the-first-snow face was without a trace of emotion.

The northeast corner of the palace city had ranges of mountains. Buildings and pavilions were located there, their eaves were interlaced and lined in neat rows, their glazed tiles reflecting cold and shining light.

That was the imperial villa that the previous emperor of the former dynasty had built as a summer palace. The Taiji Palace was low in elevation. In the summer, it was hot and stuffy, with damp moss crawling in the corners that hadn't gotten enough sunlight. Whereas the imperial villa was built on a hillside: grand and magnificent, spacious and uncluttered, more suitable for living.

Yaoying secretly calculated: After the Brahmin medicine affair was cleared up, she had to find a way to move Noble Consort Xie into the imperial villa.

  The Taiji Palace was too stifling and too close to the calculating people.

A gust of damp morning breeze brushed past, chilling to the bones. Yaoying couldn't help but shiver and wrapped the moon-white folded lotus wrap around her shoulder.

  The eunuch came out and invited her in.

  It was already dawn, but several candles were still burning in the gilt lantern in the corner of the hall. Li De was sitting in front of the dragon table, flipping through memorials. His hair was pale at the temples, like flowers1 blooming quietly in the darkness, his whole body encircled with a kind of solitary sereneness.

  Yaoying stepped forward.

Li De looked at the memorials spread on the table and said: "It will be the Buddha's birthday in a few days. Noble Consort cannot organize it, so the Crown Princess will preside over the Buddha's birthday puja. Princess Fukang will be married to Chief Yelu in the next few days, so the Crown Princess is also in charge of sending Princess Fukang off. She cannot take care of it all, so you go and assist the Crown Princess in planning the puja."

Yaoying was stunned. She thought Li De called her to ask about Noble Consort Xie.

  After Li De finished talking, he didn't care what Yaoying's reaction was and waved his hand to indicate that she should withdraw.

Yaoying didn't want to have anything to do with the Eastern Palace, but she knew that since Li De had personally called to give her instructions, he would not allow her to make excuses and refuse. She could only calmly answer yes and exit the inner hall.

  The highest ranking consort in the palace, Noble Consort Xie, could not manage the palace affairs, and many ceremonies were taken care of by Crown Princess Zheng Biyu. Buddha's birthday puja ceremony would be held in Linde Hall, and the fragrance tray and gold Buddha had been correctly set up on the sacred table. Zheng Biyu feared that mistakes would pop up and personally went over to watch the palace people clean the palace room.