Chapter 37: Three For One

When Li Yaoying woke up, she heard the sound of sorrowful cries rising and falling in succession.

The ground in front of the couch was full of kneeling maids, all of them panicking and wiping their nonstop tears. In front of the door, outside the window, and in the corridor, were filled with people's shadows. A few sobs rang out from time to time over the sound of deliberately low conversation.

Yaoying was confused for a moment, sat up, and found the crumpled battle report in her hand.

Elder brother was dead.

She no longer had a brother.

The person who treated her best in this world was gone.

The elder brother who always stood before her and protected her, who cupped her in the palms of his hands and loved her, would never be seen again.

From now on, in this chaotic world of frost and winds and pointed swords, she was left all alone.

Elder brother, don't abandon me. I am afraid.

Yaoying sat blankly, motionless.

She knew from the beginning that this would be how things ended, and should not have overestimated herself by trying to change Li Zhongqian's fate. Knowing clearly that Li Xuanzhen would be the winner when all was said and done, why hadn't she been sensible and chosen to join Li Xuanzhen?

In that case, she didn't have to be so careful, didn't have to always watch her back and be cautious of everything.

But Li Zhongqian was her elder brother who had been with her through everything!

He was her elder brother who carried her to see the apricot blossoms in front of the garden when she couldn't walk. Her elder brother who fed her medicine patiently day after day. Her elder brother who held her hand and taught her how to write and read. Her elder brother, who, regardless of his life or death, crossed the battlefield alone, who rescued her from a pile of dead soldiers, who carried her seriously ill body on a journey full of hardships, who walked a thousand miles on foot.

Yaoying bowed her head and brought out the bright moon pearl Li Zhongqian had given her from her pillow side, closing her eyes.

Even though she knew that they were merely expendable victims on Li Xuanzhen's heroic path, even if the price of protecting her brother was vomiting blood and becoming enemies with the destined son, she did not hesitate to do so.

But that day had still arrived.

They had agreed to go to Dongdu together to watch the dragon boat race, and she even prepared her clothes.

Yaoying clutched the bright moon pearl as tears streamed down.

Brother, you liar.

You promised you would come back safely.

The maids cried out, "Your Highness, you must take good care of yourself...... the prince doted on you the most when he was alive......"

These cries were like water pouring into a boiling deep fryer. The servants, maids, and concubines guarding in front of the courtyard outside the room all followed in bawling.

In the midst of the continuous weeping, a tall figure crossed the long corridor, pushed aside the dense crowd and strode into the inner room, then walked to Yaoying and knelt down on one knee.

"Xie mou will be rude. Please forgive me, Princess."

Finished speaking, the figure stood up, grabbed Yaoying's hand, supported her out of bed, and pulled a cloak to wrap her from head to toe.