Chapter 21: Goes to Battle Again

Soon after Li De ascended the throne, some ministers in the court advised him not to start another war, that he should rest with the people and allow the economy to recover.

  The land north of the western part of the Hetao1 was barren and left unchecked. The even more distant Western Regions had been occupied by different tribes since decades ago.

  If it was lost, it was lost.

  The nomads in the north were strong. If Great Wei sent more gold, silver and treasures to coax them, then hostility could be turned into friendship.

  Why need to conquer?

  Southern Chu, Baiyue and other places in the south were separated by mountains and rivers from the Great Wei. Their inner court was corrupt with endless internal strife. They certainly did not dare to go north to attack Great Wei.

  Nothing to worry about.

  Some time ago, Li De returned to Chang'an. He hosted banquets for several consecutive days to entertain the allying tribal chiefs and envoys from various countries, dealing with the accumulated government affairs.

  The ministers were very pleased: the emperor had ascended the throne now, no longer the general of Wei County. He should stay in the imperial city instead of leading troops into battle as before.

  They were satisfied, but Li De had other plans.

  He had far-reaching plans, unsatisfied with occupying the single land of Guanzhong. He had ambitions to take the Hetao in one fell swoop then recover the Western Regions.

  However, the opposition in the court was too strong, and the treasury was too empty to support the military needs. He had to return to Chang'an with his troops after recovering several provinces and counties.

  Li De was unwilling to give up.

  The Son of Heaven could not leave the capital but the son of the emperor could. The sons of the Li family were raised on horseback. Since childhood, they would follow their father and brothers to conquer the battlefield. The Crown Prince, the Second Prince, the Third Prince, the Fourth Prince were all brave and skilled.

  The day before yesterday at the palace banquet, Li De gave armor, swords and other things to the two brothers Li Xuanzhen and Li Zhongqian.

  At that time, Yaoying knew that her father was going to send several brothers to lead the army to battle.

  A tree of blooming apricot flowers in front of the veranda, rich and varied as rosy clouds rising slowly.

The flowers bloom and wither, as they do every year.

  People and flowers were not the same.

  Yaoying let go of the calculating chips and asked in a trembling voice, "Elder brother, you are going on another expedition?"

  Li Zhongqian bowed down to look at her and nodded slightly.

  Yaoying's heart was heavy.

  She could watch out for Li Xuanzhen, but she could not influence the war situation thousands of miles away.

  Li Zhongqian pinched Yaoying's face and said with a smile, "Don't worry. Elder brother is not on the front lines this time, only in charge of transporting the army provisions."

  Yaoying's nose was slightly sour, the rim of her eyes turning secretly red.

  Every time Li Zhongqian went on an expedition, she would have nightmares.