Chapter 143: Making a Decision

Li Xuanzhen reported to Li De about Du Sinan's plans, but in fact, these plans had already been implemented in the dark. At present, they needed to make a decision: whether to attack Western Shu.

Li De, afraid that the Northern Rong would turn around and march south, felt that they could wait a little longer.

Li Xuanzhen said: "Haidu Aling was unable to break through last time and decisively withdrew their troops. That was because their main force is concentrated in the north of the Western Regions, and their rations and provisions are insufficient. At present, Southern Chu has just changed heirs and also banished several generals. They cannot deploy their soldiers for the time being. We promise benefits, and they will certainly stand by and do nothing. Now is the right time for us to attack Western Shu. If we delay again and again, when the Northern Rong turns their forces back to the east, we will be attacked from the front and rear. Then, how will we resist?"

Li De was still hesitant.

Li Xuanzhen stood up and said, "This subject would like to make a military order. If we cannot capture Chengdu Province within three months, we will be at Your Majesty's mercy."

Li De furrowed his brows and raised his eyes, his sight falling on Li Xuanzhen's face.

He had been out consistently on the battlefield this month. When he returned to Chang'an, he was busy planning for the attack on Western Shu. He had lost a lot of weight and looked a bit haggard, but his pair of phoenix eyes were burning like two clusters of blazing flames.

Li De sighed.

He had gone this crazy because Zhu Luyun disappeared?

This was the son he had watched grow up... Li De weighed the pros and cons for a moment before signaling a eunuch to spread paper and grind ink. He composed the imperial decree to send troops.

He could not stop his son.

The imperial court began to make preparations for the expedition in earnest. Du Sinan once again went to Southern Chu to persuade Southern Chu to join forces with Great Wei to divide Western Shu. At the same time, in order to stall for time, he put out the rumor that Western Shu was ready to join forces with Great Wei to divide Southern Chu, obstructing the alliance between Southern Chu and Western Shu.

Li Xuanzhen requested to lead the front lines and set off with the Flying Cavalry in advance.

Zheng Biyu sent him on his military campaign with a heavy heart.

Last night, Li Xuanzhen instructed her on one thing: "If there is any news from Helong, make sure to send a fast horse to the front line, no matter how big or small. Do not delay."

Zheng Biyu's heart skipped a beat: "News from Helong?"

Li Xuanzhen glanced at her, "I sent people to follow Li Zhongqian. They send back news every few days."

Zheng Biyu's hands gently trembled, "Why did Your Highness send people to follow Grand Duke Wei?"

Li Xuanzhen's narrow phoenix eyes were like stagnant water, without a single ripple.

"I want to know if she has been found."

Zheng Biyu looked at her husband's calm, almost eerie face and did not dare to pursue the matter further.

Li Xuanzhen had changed.

He was like a crazed person who sought instant results, bent on conquering Western Shu as quickly as possible, not caring at all about anything else. He hadn't even asked a single question after Zhu Luyun had vanished for so long.