Chapter 166 - Taking off the mask

In the carriage, Yao Ying was awakened by the voices of the guards, and her long eyelashes trembled lightly.

"General Su wants to see me?"

She sat up and raised her hand to brush the messy hair away from her temples. She woke up from a light sleep, her cheeks were slightly red, and the blush faded on the corners of her eyebrows painted with peach blossom rouge, making her look even more radiant. Like a flower about to bloom, it hesitantly opened its petals, revealing a fresh and delicate pollens.

The courtyard was shining brightly, and the flickering candlelight gently enveloped her face, captivating the hearts of those who gazed at her.

Yuan Jue's heart suddenly trembled. He had a strong intuition that the Regent should not see the princess in her current state. Nevertheless, he quickly placed the footstool in its proper place, secretly relieved that the princess had changed out of her grand ceremonial attire.

Yaoying got off the carriage, walked through the courtyard, and climb onto the stone steps unsteadily.

Yuan Jue thought for a moment, then followed her carefully in her footsteps.

There was a fire burning in the hall while the snow was falling heavily outside. Inside the room, a sound of pages being turned lightly echoed, as Sultan Gu sat in front of the fire with his back on the door, his figure motionless.

Yaoying walked in and said, "General Su."

Sultan Gu, wearing a pair of black animal skin gloves on his hands did not look back and pointed to a letter with several pages.

Yao Ying brushed off the snow on her shoulders, sat down cross-legged beside him, and picked up the letter to read it carefully, the corners of her mouth slightly raised.

"We can go to see Yuchi Bodhidharma now." She tossed the letter into the fireplace and said softly, her voice hoarse.

Sultan Gu looked at the flickering blue flames in the furnace and said calmly, "Haidu Aling has arrived in Gaochang. Today, the goshawk discovered his white falcon on the sea road."

Yao Ying's heart beats faster, and she frowned slightly.

Haidu Aling is here. She must finish the things here as soon as possible and return to the royal court early to avoid running into Haidu Aling.

"Yang Qian told me that Lady Yina hosts banquets at the palace every day. He can help us sneak in... The night is long and dreams are plentiful. We'll go to see Yuchi Damo tomorrow."

Yao Ying looked at Sultan Gu.

Sultan Gu was wearing a mask, and the firelight reflected on his grim, green-face and ghostly fangs, with a two bright lights flashed in the eyes under his mask.

When he didn't speak, he exuded a cold and menacing aura, which was quite intimidating.

But this person would sit by her bedside and chant sutras for her when she was feeling unwell.

When he said that Haidu Aling had come, her first reaction was panic. However, he was indifferent, his tone was so calm that it dispelled her anxiety. When she thought that he was here to protect her, she felt less nervous.

Yaoying asked softly: "What do you think, general?"

Sultan Gu's ancient martial arts skills were so strong that he could enter and leave the palace at will even if it were heavily guarded by Lady Yina's personal soldiers.

When they were at the Buddhist temple, the little novice monk told her that there was once a tribe that took advantage of the Northern Rong army to attack the royal court from behind. At that time, all five armies of the royal court were facing the enemy from the front, and they could not spare any troops to counter the threat. The tribe had invaded all the way to the capital, and the people fled back to the holy city with their belongings. Other small tribes who coveted the wealth of the royal court also wanted to take advantage of the situation. Seeing that some people had tasted the benefits, they eagerly geared up and led their troops to attack the royal court.