Chapter 54: The Real Deal

The melodious and mellow music suddenly became halting and irregular, the serene stream of music drying up, the bowstrings' plucking no longer smooth.

Under the illumination of the hundreds of silver candles, the crowd went completely silent in a split second as innumerable eyes gazed at Yaoying, spellbound.

Yaoying was calm, and her slender hand lifted the cup of wine in front of the emperor's seat, "Today, everyone is present: the young and the old are all gathered, heroes and masters, warriors of all tribes here to mingle. This child wishes the Great Wei a prosperous time and a prosperous year and that the Huanghe is clear and the sea is calm."

Finishing speaking, she dipped her fingernails in the wine and lightly flicked it a few times at the guests, then raised her cup in a toast and drank it in one gulp.

The warming wine entered her throat, and a ring of faint redness appeared around the corners of her brimming-with-water eyes. The spring color rippled, brightening the entire room.

The civil and military officials leaning against the screen on the second floor were still staring at her in awe, but the leaders of the Hu tribes were already excited and exclaiming. Standing up and raising their wine bowls, they saluted Li De and shouted congratulations.

In response, all the people at the banquet straightened up in succession, bowing to the ground and shouting long live His Majesty.

Crown Prince Li Xuanzhen, seated in the second seat, also put down his wine cup after a moment of blankness and joined the others in saluting.

Li De glanced at Yaoying, then acknowledged everyone's regards with a smile.

The atmosphere of the banquet was at its peak at this moment.

Yaoying, who had set off the pride of the youths in the room, did not linger. Her skirt dragging behind her and followed by maids and slaves around her, she slowly disappeared behind the golden lacquered screen and ascended to the second floor.

Everyone's line of sight in the hall followed her for a long time. Until her beautiful silhouette disappeared behind the brocade muslin hanging screens fluttering in the wind, their necks were still stretched out to gaze at her.

The music played cheerfully again.

The crowd whispered to each other, discussing in high spirits.

The various chiefs and princes of the Hu tribes did not attempt to hide their amazement at all and asked the attendants around them, "Was that noble daughter the rumored Seventh Princess?"

The attendants nodded their heads.

The chiefs exchanged a dawning look of realization: indeed, she was a remarkable beauty. No wonder Old Yelu was willing to give Liangzhou as a betrothal gift, even knowing that the Murong, He, and Ashina tribes that were now occupying Liangzhou were not easy to deal with.

On the second floor, the imperial concubines, court ladies, and noble daughters looked at Yaoying who, in the candle flame, looked like a goddess, with complicated expressions on their faces.

Without looking around, Yaoying walked to the window, sat down, and poured herself a cup of wine.

With Li Zhongqian absent, no one dared to control the wine that she was not allowed to touch.

To the side, Zheng Biyu, the Crown Princess, sighed. Looking downstairs, she found Li Xuanzhen had gotten up and was leaving his seat, walking in the direction of the back hall under the guidance of a palace maid.