Chapter 48: Second Shift

Xie Qing waited for a long time in front of Liangyi Hall.

Clouds drifted above the imperial palace, and incense was steaming from the mythical beast incense.

The sound of footsteps came from the vermillion palace door, and he immediately climbed the stone steps to meet them.

Yaoying staggered unsteadily, dragging her heavy feet out of the hall.

She had gotten the promise she wanted.

In exchange, Li De also got what he wanted.

Yaoying never expected that a complaint would awaken Li De's conscience. She had entered the palace immediately after leaving the Eastern Palace in order to make a deal with Li De before Li Xuanzhen could enter the palace.

Since her life would be lost when she marries far away, she might as well make a business transaction.

The deal with Li Xuanzhen was to have the flying cavalry rescue Li Zhongqian.

The deal with Li De was planning for Li Zhongqian after he returned to the capital.

Probably shocked by Yaoying's determination, before she left, Li De looked at her for a long time. He pointed to a floor tile showing wear and tear in front of the dragon table : "Qiniang, look."

He looked around.

"This hall was once burned down. The previous dynasty's concubines were locked in here and were cleanly killed off. Everywhere needs to be repaired; roof tiles need to be replaced with new ones, floor tiles need to be relaid, the Taiji Hall's foundation must be rebuilt...."

The court councilors have repeatedly petitioned to renovate the palace.

Li De commented: "Frugality to cultivate one's mind, calmness to cultivate one's character. The dynasty is newly established; large-scale construction is inadvisable."

He strictly practiced frugality, commanding that the construction of various halls being built be stopped. He only had the palace maids repaint the palace's interior before moving in. He ordered that all regions were prohibited from offering rare and exotic treasures as tribute, especially those so-called auspicious gifts.

The emperor was living simply and frugally, so it was naturally not good for the courtiers to be ostentatious. The wave of extravagance and competition that had just risen among the noble families and powerful clans was soon suppressed.

Li De said: "Qiniang, who dislikes fancy clothes and magnificent dresses? Who dislikes lofty and imposing palaces? Zhen is not an ascetic monk. Zhen also loves luxury and extravagance. Zhen also wants to live in a grand and spacious house."

He paused for a moment and his words changed: "But zhen is the emperor."

Moreover, he was an emperor who had ascended the throne for only a short while in an time of many outstanding figures vying for supremacy.

Far from enjoying himself, as the monarch, he must lead by example.

He was the emperor. He must be cautious in everything, must guard against all people, must use all means available to balance the court.

Yaoying's tone was calm: "Uncle once told my brother that some people are short-sighted and can only see a moment of wealth and prosperity, while others are long-sighted and can see a few years, decades, or even hundreds and thousands of years later. My uncle, who was weak since childhood and tried to pacify the chaotic world but could not, said that he and His Majesty, who met at first sight and shared the same aspirations, could see decades and centuries later."