Chapter 67: Poison

Towering, rolling hills stood on the endless snowfields. A clear river was winding out of the valley, flowing across the plain.

A felt tent, almost hidden in the sprinkling snow, was along the river below the hill. The people in the tent flocked out in excitement at the arrival of Princess Wenzhao, whom the Khan had welcomed from Great Wei.

The tents were overflowing with people, and there were cheers and laughter everywhere.

But it was a strange language, an unfamiliar accent.

The two Li siblings stood in front of the commanding officer's tent, having nothing to say to the other.

Like a few years ago, when they discovered each other's identity, standing at the bow of the boat, silently gazing at each other.

At the head of the Chibi Islet, there was a view of the mist and the waves.

The wooden door of the tent was opened from the inside. Yelu Khan came out, and his eyes fell on Yaoying who was travel-worn and tired but whose beauty still could not be hidden. Happily rubbing his hands together, his aged face had deep-set wrinkles. He patted Li Xuanzhen's shoulder and smiled: "Princess Wenzhao arrived safely, Crown Prince can rest assured now."

Saying that, without waiting for Li Xuanzhen to say anything, he attentively pulled open the curtain and invited Yaoying into the tent.

Without looking at him, Yaoying walked into the tent, passing the gloomy Li Xuanzhen.

After Li De set the wedding date, Li Xuanzhen led his army to Liangzhou. At this moment, he should still be guarding Liangzhou. Why did he go back to the Yelu tribe with Yelu Khan?

Did he have to confirm with his own eyes that she was married to Yelu Khan before he would feel at ease?

Yelu Khan followed her into the tent and seemed a bit bewildered. He laughed dryly and said, "The princess has had a long journey. Rest well tonight and the wedding will be held tomorrow night."

He was not proficient in speaking Chinese, and his words came slowly.

Yaoying's eyes were cast downward and she was silent, showing her exhaustion.

Yelu Khan looked at the snow-white and delicate skin of her neck, thinking that it would surely be more tender than mutton fat. He could not wait to taste it immediately. But looking at her weary face, he felt heartache. Thinking that the Han princess, who was not very old, was delicate and shy, and paid particular attention to etiquette, he could not be too rough and scare her. He rubbed his hands and led his people away.

Just as the tent door closed, Yaoying fell on the felt rug. Tali and Ayi kneeled on either side and took off the heavy flower crown and ornaments from her head.

Tali said sympathetically, "Princess, although the khan is old, he is strong and healthy. Moreover, he cherishes you. This slave has heard from the people of the Yelu tribe that the khan has never been so considerate to a lady."

Yaoying did not say anything. She took off the hairpin and jade beads at her temples, and her dark, fine black hair fell over her shoulder.

Her bones were aching and she didn't want to think about anything, so she laid down on the edge of the long couch and closed her eyes to nap.

It was a good idea to get some sleep. Sleep enough to raise her strength to cope with this unfamiliar environment.

A sound came from the door of the tent. A crescent-shaped scimitar separated the curtain, allowing the wind and snow to rush in, and black leather boots stepped into the tent.