Chapter 49: No Regrets

The chief eunuch kneeled in front of the dragon table, adding a few pieces of green silk tulip to the mythical incense burner. The smoke was dense, producing a faintly bitter fragrance that drifted and flowed.

Li De gazed in the direction Yaoying left, lost in thought for a while, and suddenly asked: "Don't you think qiniang very much reminds you of someone?"

The eunuch put down the gilt silver spoon and carefully replied, "The Seventh Princess is an outstanding beauty and possesses some of Your Majesty's elegance when you were young."

If one looked at her eyes, the Seventh Princess did not look like anyone. Among all the princes and princesses, only she had a pair of large and slender charming eyes.

The corner of Li De's mouth tugged, "Fu Nian, who do you think is the person who knows zhen best in the world?"

The eunuch deliberated for a moment, "Naturally, it is the late empress."

Fine wrinkles appeared on his face when he smiled, and his phoenix eyes flashed with melancholy.

He had only loved one woman in his life, but Tang Ying had never understood him. She wanted a single-minded husband, a warm and blissful home, not a monarch.

"The person who understood zhen best in this world was Xie Wuliang."

There was a flash of surprise on the eunuch's face.

Li De understood what the eunuch was thinking: since Xie Wuliang understood you best, how come you are so cold to Noble Consort Xie and her children?

Just like Tang Ying asked him time and time again back then: Husband loves me and respects me, so why do you want to marry other women?

Because he was not only Li De, but also the great general of Wei County, to whom countless soldiers swore their loyalty.

After Tang Ying's death, many people asked Li De: do you regret it?

Li De, who had just lost Tang Ying, of course, regretted it. His hair turned white overnight and he became furious at the littlest things, throwing all his fury on Xie Manyuan and Li Zhongqian.

Only one person never asked Li De if he regretted it.

He calmly organized Xie Manyuan's things, sending her away to avoid the disaster. He asked Li Zhongqian to give up martial arts and turn to literature, from then on to focus on studying books, never to touch the pair golden hammers again in his life.

After handling everything, he returned to Jingnan, and never took a step out of Jingnan.

In the end, he died in Jingnan.

The only person in this world who understood Li De died.

The only woman he ever truly loved in this world had also turned into dry bones.

The only son he was partial to and loved was fickle, gloomy, and deep-minded. Someday, when he was fully-fledged, he would definitely kill him, his father, to avenge his mother.

Li De knew that his life would be full of pain and guilt because of Tang Ying's death.

But he did not regret it.

The Wei army had recovered most of the lost territory, and the Wei empire was established. In time, he and his descendants would be able to accomplish the great task of unifying the mountains and rivers and subduing the four seas.

The river was clear, the sea was calm, the country was prosperous, and the people were peaceful.

This road was destined to be difficult and destined to be lonely.