Chapter 25: Substitute Marriage

Once His Majesty and the Eastern Palace had a grudge, the second, third and fourth princes would all have the opportunity to take advantage of the situation.

Wei Ming thought fast and made a decision after a few moments: in any case, they must find a way to calm the Crown Prince down.

He didn't care who Zhu Luyun married, only fearing that the Crown Prince would make a muddle-headed mistake in a moment of desperation.

 Before he had time to plan anything, a few stallions whinnied outside the window. Several Eastern Palace advisors dismounted off their horses and darted into the courtyard.

  "Chief Historian, His Highness the Crown Prince has been detained by His Majesty's close guards!"

  Wei Ming's mind began to buzz and he rushed out of the study.

  Something happened so soon?

The advisor, with a panic-stricken face, performed his obeisance and said, "Chief Historian, just now, His Highness wanted to send the princess out of the city walls and was stopped by the Jin Wu Wei at the city gate and sent back to the palace. The Crown Prince and His Majesty clashed, His Majesty was angered and had the close guards tie up the Crown Prince."

  Wei Ming was so anxious that he stamped his feet. He knew something would happen!

  "Quickly go and invite Her Highness the Crown Princess!"

Zheng shi was the daughter of a prestigious large family; gentle and virtuous, educated and well-balanced. She had never been jealous of her husband Li Xuanzhen's love affair with Zhu Luyun, and had always advised him to marry Zhu Luyun as soon as possible, so as not to harm both their reputations.

  Wei Ming finished listening to the report of the situation in the palace from the advisor. He knew that the matter was urgent, could not afford to avoid her by taboo, and seeked her out.

Zheng Biyu panicked for a moment, but quickly calmed down and said, "I am a woman of the inner residence. I dare not presumptuously discuss imperial court politics. What does Chief Historian want me to do?"

  Wei Ming inwardly commended her. Zheng shi was worthy of being the daughter of a distinguished clan. This calmness was enough to outperform Zhu Luyun.

  He sighed and said, "Your Highness, the Crown Prince has impulsively clashed with His Majesty and was temporarily detained in the palace. Only you can persuade the Crown Prince to yield to His Majesty."

Li De had been angered to death by Zhu Luyun and had not yet worked out a countermeasure. Then hearing that Li Xuanzhen had immediately run away with Zhu Luyun, he was even more furious.

The empire's heir apparent let his emotions affect him to this extent, was this proper?

He sent people to send Zhu Luyun to the princess's residence under strict supervision, tied up Li Xuanzhen, forcing him to set a clear boundary with Zhu Luyun. If he didn't agree, he would be abolished from his position.

  Li Xuanzhen refused to yield.

  Li De was unable to restrain his anger, taking out the sword suspended in front of the dragon table and moved to cut down Li Xuanzhen. He was finally talked down by his close attendant.

Right now, Li Xuanzhen was imprisoned in the palace. Regardless of who went to persuade, he would ignore them all without exception.

Zheng Biyu had already heard a maid report that Zhu Luyun took the initiative to ask for marriage, and said: "With His Highness's personality, I'm afraid that he will not easily give in."