Chapter 169 - Promise

Yao Ying had heard Li Zhongqian mention that letter before.

For several generations, the sovereigns of Gaochang had been trying to establish contact with the Central Plains, from Yuchi Damo's grandfather to his father, and then to him. Though the hope was slim, they still clung to it. Eventually, Yang Qian and his companions set out on the journey back to the east, and over several decades, countless young men followed one another, all to request reinforcements from the Central Plains.

Yang Qian's dry bones and lengthy writings had been discovered, but many more like him and their letters were forever buried beneath the shifting sands.

Struggling to hold back tears, Yao Ying asked, "When will the six armies truly arrive?"

Yao Ying looked into Yuchi Damo's eyes and said, "When the previous sovereign didn't know if the Central Plains were unified, he still risked sending people to request reinforcements from the Central Plains. The determination to return to the east was unwavering. Now that the Central Plains are unified and the Wei Dynasty is strong, as a descendant of the Yuchi family, would the sovereign refuse to form an alliance with the Wei Dynasty?"

Upon hearing her read the letter, Yang Qian became visibly excited, his eyes glistening with tears. His father had given him this name so he would always remember that they had been forcibly move to Gaochang. He was supposed to inherit the will of his grandfather and father and pledge to return home at all costs!

He looked at Yuchi Bodhidharma and said emphatically, "Damo, what are you waiting for? For these years, we've exhausted all efforts and spent all these years contacting the Central Plains just to request the imperial court to send troops!"

Yuchi Bodhidharma leaned on the desk with both hands, his red hair disheveled, and he assumed a relaxed posture, seemingly intoxicated. His brown eyes carried a hazy indifference as he nonchalantly remarked, "I haven't promised anything."

Yang Qian's veins bulged on his forehead, "You—"

Yao Ying smiled, grabbed the almost erupting Yang Qian, and locked eyes with Yuchi Damo.

Yuchi Bodhidharma was very cautious. In recent years, he had tacitly allowed Yang Qian to contact righteous individuals in various places but never showing himself. If something happened to Yang Qian, he could distance himself and push Yang Qian as the scapegoat.

He will neither offend Wakhan Khan nor Haidu Aling, nor will he offend Tumoroga and her. He maintained subtle cooperative relationships with each party, leaning towards the stronger side. No matter how much others pressed him, he could always find a way to survive.

Therefore, one could cooperate with him but couldn't entirely trust him.

"I understand that the king hasn't promised anything. Today, I haven't even met the sovereign," Yao Ying said with a smile.

A glint flashed in Yu Chi Damo's eyes.

The two locked eyes and understood each other's intentions.

"I heard that the princess recruited rebels, hired caravans, and redeemed Hexi people who were sold into slavery..." Yuchi Bodhidharma said, "If there is anything I can do to help, the princess can leave a message to Yang Si."

He meant for her to contact Yang Qian if she needed something.

Yao Ying nodded.

Yang Qian straightened his chest and said, "I will definitely take good care of the princess!"

Yuchi Damo's expression softened slightly.

The group discussed how to secretly train the rebels and pass new messages. There was lively singing music and dancing outside the tent.