Chapter 168 - Promise

The hall was full of laughter and chatter, and the air was filled with the strong and mellow aroma of barbecue, spices, and fine wine.

Inside the tent, Yuchi Damo wore a cold expression, Yang Qian stood ready with his sword, facing off against the guards, the atmosphere was tense.

Yao Ying's expression did not change, and she walked up to Yuchi Bodhidharma. She didn't even glance at the guards' long knives, and said, "If the king truly wants to curry favor with Northern Rong, he only needs to shout a few times to attract Lady Yina's bodyguards and they will come running."

Yuchi Bodhidharma looked at Yaoying without blinking, his eyes are bloodshot and reddening, "Yina is just a princess with no soldiers and no power. Haidu Aling has military power and many followers. He will surely replace the Khan in the future. By giving the princess to Prince Haidu Aling, I will gain much more."

Yao Ying smiled faintly, "My lord, the Khan of Wakhan is still in power. Just as you said, Lady Yinna is merely a princess, yet she can put the king under house arrest. Isn't it because the lord fears her uncle, the Khan of Wakhan, and has to endure and back down? The Khan of Wakhan is still vigorous, while Prince Aling still lacks the necessary experience. Before they settle their differences, considering the lord's character, he wouldn't allow his control to risk falling into someone else's hands."

Yuchi Damo's lips curled, "And what leverage do I have?"

Yao Ying calmly said, "The lord's reporting to Haidu Aling, once it gets to the ears of the Khan of Wakhan, becomes the leverage of your secret collusion with Prince Aling. Haidu Aling's ambitions surpass those of the Khan. If he wins, the downfall of Gaochang is imminent. If Wakhan Khan wins, he will definitely be angry with the king. How will the king protect himself then at that time?"

"No matter who you tip to, the loss outweighs the gains. The king has worked hard over the years and endured humiliation for nothing more than temporary stability. I believe the lord wouldn't engage in a losing business deal."

Like Yang Qian, Yuchi Damo's ancestral home was in Hexi. The Yuchi clan produced many renowned generals, and his grandfather once held the position of magistrate in Guazhou. When the Central Plains were in turmoil, the Yuchi clan was forced to migrate westward, seeking refuge in Gaochang. They married into the royal family and became the rulers of Gaochang.

Their family is a family of military commanders, but unfortunately, Yuchi Damo and his father were weak and were not suited for martial arts. They couldn't inherit the family's legacy and tended to act in a cowardly manner. Whenever someone led troops to attack Gaochang, without a second thought, they would first send beautiful women and silver to appease the aggressor, thus drawing public criticism time and time again.

Yuchi Bodhidharma, who is trying to survive in the cracks, is so shrewd, he keeps everything in check, living in a daze, fears everyone and offends no one. He will never completely lean towards Haidu Aling when Wakhan Khan's position is stable. After all, he thinks his son and daughter were still in the hands of Lady Yina.

Moreover, Tumoroga informed all the countries to protect her openly, and he did not dare to offend Tumoroga. As Yao Ying articulated his thoughts one by one, Yuchi Damo's expression darkened slightly. He casually tossed off his cloak, sat up, and waved his hand.

  The guard holding the sword retreated quietly.

Yang Qian was stunned for a while, put his sword into its sheath, and frowned at Yuchi Bodhidharma: "Everything was fine. Since the king has no intention of informing, why do you have to be so mysterious?"

Yao Ying cross her legs as she sat down and said: "Because the sovereign wants to test me to see if I am worth the risk. If I have been scared off, the king would have gained the upperhand."