Chapter 40: Three For One

In the next few days, the news of Li Zhongqian's ambush spread throughout Chang'an, and there were more and more eyes outside the wangfu.

The wangfu was filled with a heavy atmosphere of a mountain rain coming and a building falling. In just a few days, the chief historian had aged several years.

Yaoying dismissed the remaining servants and told them to take the silver when leaving the residence to avoid the disaster, leaving only the personal soldiers to escort her.

On this day, Duke Pei paid a surprise visit.

"I will leave for Wei County in a few days. Your brother is dead, you have no one to rely on; staying alone in Chang'an is like a sheep amongst a pack of wolves. Why don't you come back to Wei County with me?"

He went to the capital only to relieve Li Yaoying. He had not intended to have his grandson marry Li Yaoying, but suddenly came the sad news of Li Zhongqian. He could not bear to see Li Yaoying, who had lost her support, being bullied by others, so after two days of consideration, he decided to take this young lady back to the Pei family in Wei County.

If Li Yaoying was willing to marry Pei Yu, it would be good.

Yaoying solemnly bowed towards Duke Pei: "Some time ago, I hastily asked Duke Pei to enter the capital, so I have tired Duke Pei to make this trip. I haven't had time to thank him."

Duke Pei waved his hand with carelessness and coughed twice: "I promised to help you once, so naturally I have to keep my promise. You don't have to thank me. Qiniang, I won't force you to marry Yu lang. You come back to Wei County with me. Although my Pei family is not as good as the giants in the capital, at least I can guarantee your safety."

Yaoying smiled and shook her head, "Thank you, Lord Pei, for your kindness."

The Pei family and the Xie family were feuding, and the reason why Lord Pei came to her aid was only to keep his promise back then.

Right now, Duke Pei was willing to stand up for her, but when Duke Pei was gone, would the rest of the Pei family be willing to treat her well?

Even if Pei Yu could treat her well, in the future, when Li Xuanzhen ascended to the throne, the Pei family would definitely be dragged down by her. How could a minor official of Wei County, who has only received a false position, resist the king?

Yaoying had already made up her mind and said, "If there is still no news in these two days, I plan to go south."

Duke Pei lifted his eyes in surprise and stared at Yaoying for a long time, "You may not be able to return to the capital safely on this trip, and your brother has already died in battle."

Yaoying smiled, still delicate and bright, like a spring flower blooming on a branch: "I want to see the person in life and their corpse in death. No matter whether my second brother is alive or dead, I have to bring him back."

Duke Pei looked at Yaoying. He narrowed his eyes, silent for a long time. Then, he nodded approvingly.

"The Pei family ancestors did not get along with the Xie family, and I have always disliked the Xie family."

He raised his head, his cloudy eyes drenched in melancholy, "But I admire your uncle. He was a weak scholar, unable to pull a bow, unable to lift a sword, and unable to even climb on horseback. When His Majesty and the Xie family allied, I saw your uncle. He wore a wide robe and big sleeves, and stood side by side with His Majesty. That face was even more beautiful than the young ladies of Wei County. I thought to myself, the famous Gentleman Wuliang of Jingnan is not a woman, right?"