Chapter 71: Why Run Away

Yaoying and her party rode furiously through the night.

Behind them was only the endless field of snow. The Eldest Prince's pursuing soldiers did not catch up.

The next morning, they stopped at a secluded mountain road to rest.

Xie Qing counted the men and horses and reported to Yaoying, "No one was left behind."

Yaoying nodded, took out several pre-written letters, and handed them to several soldiers: "I have already asked people to send letters to Liangzhou, but those letters may not be delivered safely, and no one may take them seriously even if they are delivered. Take my letters and go to Xiao Pass, Huangu Pass, Tong Pass, and Liangzhou, find the soldiers on guard, and tell them to be on the alert and prepare for battle."

She took out two more letters and handed them over to two other soldiers, "Go directly to Jin City. Run non-stop and ride through the night. Go to the Jin City's Commander-in-Chief's residence and find a scholar named Du Sinan. Tell him that if he wants to have great success as a minister, his chance to make his mark has come. If Southern Chu retreats, he will be famous all over the world!"

The soldiers looked at each other and said, "What if they do not believe?"

The princess was only a woman, moreover, a princess who had married far away. If she suddenly sent out a letter, what soldier would take it seriously?

Yaoying urged her soldiers to leave, "Whether they believe you or not, they will be more alert once your letter is delivered. Do not delay. Leave at once!"

The soldiers still hesitated to leave: "Princess, our duty is to guarantee your safety; other matters are not our business. Now that you are not out of danger, we cannot leave you behind!"

They were Li Zhongqian's carefully selected guards for Li Yaoying, loyal only to Li Zhongqian and the Seventh Princess. Even if the sky was about to fall, they had to guard by the Seventh Princess' side.

Yaoying raised her hand and brushed back the hair at her temples. After a night of riding, her hair was down and disheveled, appearing in a sorry state, but her eyes were clear and calm: "Facing a powerful enemy, the nation will not survive. Which is more important, you really cannot tell? There is no time to delay! Go!"

The soldiers exchanged a look, lowered their heads, and refused to move.

Yaoying had a dizzy spell and staggered twice before straightening up: "The situation is urgent now, and you may not arrive safely. I am now trusting you with the future of Great Wei and the lives of tens of thousands of people."

She bowed to her soldiers.

"Whether you live or die, you are the most devoted soldiers of Great Wei! If you return to Chang'an alive, I will toast to you!"

In the wind and snow, her delicate body trembled gently, looking so charming and pitiful.

And so determined.

The soldiers gritted their teeth, and with tears in their eyes, cupped their fists at her. Taking a letter with them, they climbed onto their horses and rode away.

Yaoying looked at their distancing backs, and the fatigue from the night hit her. Hands and feet slightly trembling, she suddenly coughed, and blood spilled from her lips.

"Princess!"

Xie Qing immediately picked her up.

Yaoying laid in his arms, shivering all over, choking up several mouthfuls of blood.