Chapter 12: Princess's Marriage Alliance

The cold night breeze beat against the palace lantern in front of the corridor, the crescent moon was high above the tip of the willow branch, the moonlight looking like water.

  Thinking of Zhu Luyun's thoroughly flawed assassination plans, Li Xuanzhen's heart surged with a deep exhuaustion.

  He massaged his forehead and asked, "Has she recruited death soldiers again?"

  The palace eunuch shook his head and said, "Recently, Princess Fukang and the surrendered Hu people in the capital have been in close contact and have secret dealings."

  Everyone knew that Princess Fukang hated the Hu people.

  Therefore, it was suspicious that the princess was associating with the Hu people.

  The eunuch got a message from the princess's close maid that when the princess talked to the Hu people, she mentioned a name: Grand Princess Yiqing.

The former dynasty's Grand Princess Yiqing—that is, Zhu Luyun's aunt, who, at the age of 18, married an old tribal chief of the Turkic tribe to the northwest.

  A few years ago, the Grand Princess's attendant braved death, fleeing back to the Central Plains with her bloody letter, crying and begging the previous emperor to welcome back the Grand Princess.

  At that time, the last emperor had already died under the sword of the rebels. With every province in Guanzhong occupied by various clans, no one paid any attention to the attendant.

  The servant later met Zhu Luyun, telling her about the tragic experience of Grand Princess Yiqing.

  Only then did Zhu Luyun learn that there was a very barbaric and horrible custom among the Hu tribes: when the father died, succeed the stepmother, when the brother died, succeed the elder sister-in-law.

  When the old tribal chief died, Grand Princess Yiqing became the wife of the new chief.

When the new chief also died, Grand Princess Yiqing married the new chief's younger brother.

  Soon after the new chief's brother died because of internal strife, Grand Princess Yiqing was taken as a concubine by the old tribal chief's grandson.

  In a short span of ten years, Grand Princess Yiqing was married to three generations from grandfather to grandson.

  What a humiliation for the Grand Princess of noble birth!

  Zhu Luyun sympathized with her maternal aunt, whom she had never met, and asked Li De to send troops to retrieve the Grand Princess.

  Li De did not agree at that time.

  The palace eunuch hazarded a guess: "Your Highness, could the princess be trying to ally with the Hu people, then borrow troops from the Emperor to save the Grand Princess Yiqing?"

  The corner of Li Xuanzhen's mouth tugged.

  The previous dynasty's Grand Princess, what was she worth?

  Li De always considered the cost and reward first in everything he did. Him enthroning Zhu Luyun, that was because it was useful to keep Zhu Luyun.

He wouldn't let soldiers die in vain for a worthless former dynasty's noble princess.

  At present, the Central Plains had just stabilized. The various tribes in the northwest had formidable power. The Beirong that declared they were descendants of the divine wolf, claimed to command a hundred thousand soldiers, were able to sweep Beiting.