Chapter 144: Free Oneself

Chang'an, Taiji Palace.

Nearing dusk, the light was dimming. A palace eunuch held a short candle, lighting the candles on the golden tree lamps one by one, moving along until he ended up before the imperial desk. The mythical beast incense burner intermittently emitted light green tulip incense.

Li De was head down reading the memorials, currently looking the Western Shu's Meng shi's surrender letter. The beaded curtain gently shook, and the sound of rapid footsteps came from outside the screen.

"Your Majesty!"

The eunuch's complexion was pale, sweat covering his face. Flying to the inner room, his knee softened, sliding to a kneel in front of the imperial desk.

"His Highness the Crown Prince has returned!"

Li De was stunned. Frowning lightly, he put down the paper: "Why did he return in advance?"

The eunuch trembled, incoherently saying: "Your Majesty... the Right Guard of the Jin Wu Wei requested that you temporarily avoid the back of the hall. His Royal Highness the Crown Prince... His Royal Highness... "

Li De's face sank: "What is happening with the Crown Prince?"

The eunuch's face was bloodless. Kneeling on the ground, he carefully weighed the words, his voice trembling lightly: "Your Majesty, His Royal Highness the Crown Prince entered the palace without an imperial decree. The Jin Wu Wei did not dare to let him into the hall, but His Royal Highness the Crown Prince resolutely broke in!"

Li De stiffened and stood up calmly. He shook off the eunuch who busily came forward to help him to the back hall.

The eunuch fell to the ground but did not dare to make a squeak. In one breath, he crawled up and staggered to catch up with Li De.

Candlelight flickering, the person in front of the palace hall's door's shadow danced, making a racket. A Jin Wu Wei, holding a long sword and guarding in front of the steps, was loudly reprimanding someone amidst chaotic footsteps.

Li De walked out of the inner room, and the Jin Wu Wei guarding the door was horrified, kneeling on the ground and saying, "Your Majesty, please temporarily take refuge...."

Before he could finish his sentence, Li De had already walked past him.

With pounding hearts and faces covered in cold sweat, the Jin Wu Wei looked at each other and helplessly followed at his heels.

Li De stood at the edge of the platform, arms folded.

At the bottom of the steps, a tall figure ascended the platform step by step against the flow of people. Clad in dark clothes, chilly as a blade, he carried a sword in hand.

With just a glance, Li De recognized his son's silhouette.

Li Xuanzhen came alone. Although it was an offense, it was not a crime punishable by death. The Jin Wu Wei were aware of Li De's regard for him and did not dare to hurt him, so they could only surround the person in case he suddenly hurt anyone.

The Jin Wu Wei painstakingly advised Li De, "Your Majesty, His Highness the Crown Prince seems to be having a manic episode. Your Majesty, please temporarily avoid!"

Li De's gaze was gloomy.

"Take him down. Don't hurt him."

Receiving the order, the Jin Wu Wei gained some confidence. They clasped their fists and complied. Abandoning their swords and using long spears instead, they leaped forward and tried to pick off the long sword in Li Xuanzhen's hand first.