Chapter 3 - The Deception

Someone is trying to kill me and the thought made me shiver. I felt lost and helpless without dad. Why did he disappear when I needed him most?

My stepmother Janice and my step sister Arabella are the only family that I have aside from dad. Dad married Janice three years ago and I am glad that he did. Janice is a loving stepmother and genuinely concern with my safety and well-being.

Arabella, though she is a bit difficult to deal with, she never shows any animosity towards me. Until I found out that she is sleeping with my boyfriend.

"What do you mean you lost her?"

I heard Janice talking to someone on the phone on my way to the study room. She is shouting and I never heard her shout before. She is an epitome of mildness and she is indeed a caring mother. I want to talk to her about the attempts in my life. She must have an idea where dad is.

"Again? Geez, she's just a kid!"

"You have one job, Alberto! I don't need your excuses. Demetrius is nowhere to found and this is the perfect time to kill Chloe."

Alberto. The same name mentioned by masked men in the club.

I gasped when I heard her. The awareness of the danger slowly dawned on me. I covered my mouth to avoid making any sound. She probably does not have any clue that I am already here in the house as I left my car in the coffeehouse.

My heart began to beat fast inside my chest. My hands are literally shaking from this revelation.

Why does Janice want to kill me? She loves me like her own daughter.

Before I can think of anything else, I hurriedly took a few steps away from the study room and I left the house as soon as I can without being noticed.