Chapter 33 - The Funeral

Part of me is expecting Luke to attend the funeral, but he did not even bother to show up. Dad is mostly quiet. I know that he is grieving, but I also know that he was furious for what happened.

There are no signs of Arabella. According to dad's sources, she left the country when she found out that dad already discovered her mother's ploy. The police are still looking for her as she is also involved with the money laundering scheme.

It was a small funeral attended by close family members and company employees. It was a heartbreaking and yet a solemn event.

"We never had a chance to talk after your trip to Austria," dad said while we are having breakfast a few days after the funeral.

"Dad, I know that you are hurt when Janice deceived you. You think that this is just a nightmare, but it isn't. Don't get me wrong, I understand. I am just giving you time."

"I was hurt with her deception. Disappointed and also betrayed," dad said with a bitter smile.

"I loved her dad. She is like mom, loving and very compassionate. I never thought that she is trying to manipulate us. I was not able to see right through her. How did you escaped the car accident? You just gone AWOL after that incident."

"Two of our vehicles suspiciously were under maintenance that day. Janice was so insistent for me to take her car instead. Luke called me that morning and told me that it was she who is stealing money from the company and he demanded for me to get out of the car as soon as I can. Luke was right, a few minutes later, Janice's car exploded."

"I was worried dad. You should have told me what happened."

"Luke asked me to hide for the meantime, take a vacation leave until he sorted everything out. I flew right away to London without telling him where I was going and I asked for his help to take care of you."

"You are underestimating that man. He knew that you were in London, but he just can't pinpoint exactly where," I said confidently like a proud girlfriend.

"I have a friend who is based in London helped me collate all the proofs enough for Janice's arrest. He is into deep web and was able to obtain relevant bank transaction records, phone recordings and even even videos of Janice with her hired killers. I thought you will be safer on the island with Luke. But I was wrong, Janice is too determined to find you when she can no longer track me. She knew that you are careless, an easier target unlike me."

"She doesn't have any idea that I have a one man army," I smiled at dad.

"And I can't help, but to notice that you are blushing by the mere sound of his name," dad said in a teasing voice.

"Dad! I am not blushing!"

"Yes, you are blushing like a girl. Luke is a fine man and I trust that boy. He called me a few times and gave me an update. I also know that you run away from him in Austria. Now, I am curious why you did that."

"How is he? What else did he say?"

"Nothing much. He just gave me an update when you boarded the plane from Switzerland to New York. He was worried and he was about to follow you there, but I assured him that you are probably going to visit your bestfriend Ashton."

"So, he knew where I was, but he didn't bother to see me," I said bitterly.

"That man has connections and can find you anywhere on earth. You don't know that man's capabilities."

"I have an idea, dad. Trust me."