Chapter 7 - My name is Luke

(POV Luke)

My name is Luke Markus Torres. For more than a year, I am staying here on this big provincial island and taking care of our farming business.

Demetrius Zamora is my dad's childhood best friend and they both grew up on this island. Demetrius decided to try his luck in the city and with his shrewdness, he became one of the richest businessmen in no time. He asked my father numerous times to join him in his company, but my dad love this place. He loves a simple life that only this island can offer.

"Son, I need your help again," it was Demetrius who called me a few days ago.

I loved this old man. He is the one who sent me to an international school. He is the one who helped dad when we lost our lands. We owe our lives to this humble and yet fucking rich man.

"How's your injury?"

Demetrius had a car accident that almost cost him his life. This man is lucky to be alive.

"I am fine, just minor burns and scratches. Thanks to you."

"What can I do for you, Sir?"

"You do remember my only daughter, Chloe right?"

"Of course. What about her?"

"I will be leaving for a few weeks. I believe that my life's in danger. I want you to take care of Chloe for me."

"Sir, do I look like a babysitter to you? I haven't seen her for years. It is as if you are hiding your daughter from me. I don't even know if she still remembers me."

"She might be in danger too. I left her some clues and she should be on her way to you and to your dad. If not, bring her to the island. She's safer there."

"Sir, you can hire any security agency who can do this job. Why me?"

"I don't trust them Luke, but I trust you."

Demetrius gave me a job a few weeks ago to investigate her current wife. We found out that it was his wife, who is trying to murder him to gain full control of his business. If he leaves Chloe alone, she will most likely become the next target of Janice.

He knew that I was formerly a government investigator asset assigned in international covert operations. I just resigned from my work when my mother died a year ago and when dad became sickly.

"Two days ago? I don't remember meeting you two days ago!" she shouted back at me. She is clearly annoyed and almost hysterical.

"Of course, you don't remember. You were a drunk bitch," I answered quickly while keeping my eyes on the road.

"Sorry, you don't actually stand out for me to recognize you, farm boy."

I did not answer her back. She doesn't remember what happened between us that night. She is probably too drunk to remember or she actually bought my businessman disguise.

"Tell me Markus, Luke, whoever the hell you are, why are you doing this? Are you being forced by my dad?"

"Yes."

"Then, tell me where the hell is my dad! After this, we can go to our own separate ways."

"The thing is, I don't know where on earth he is hiding. And your dad is actually not a man that I can easily decline."

"That is bullshit. I don't want to be stuck with someone who is just being forced by my dad. My life is already a living hell. I just don't think another hellish companion would be helpful."

I did not answer her again. She is right, I was rude at her. The least I can do is being nice. After all, I took away something precious from her.