Chapter 19 - The Investigator

Luke is seated on one of the rocks and is using his binoculars to check something on the mainland. He smiled at me when he noticed my presence.

"Dinner is ready. Eat. Once it is dark, we cannot use any source of light," he commanded me, but with gentleness.

I followed him and ate my dinner. Canned pork and beans with bread. This looks like a breakfast instead of dinner.

"Your boyfriend, Xander Jimenez. Why did you not contact him?" he asked me when I did not attempt to speak.

"It is none of your business," I answered in almost a whisper.

"It is my business to know as he might compromise this mission."

"We broke up two days ago," I shortly answered.

"Two days ago? Is he the reason you surrendered everything to me two nights ago?" he asked while still using his binoculars.

"I don't feel like preserving my virginity anymore when the love of my life cheated on me with my own step sister. You were there in the bar, readily available and you seem capable," I said with no emotions.

"And you got want you want, an experience of a lifetime that you can share with your fellow bitches."

"You got it right Luke, charge it to experience! I must admit, you are really good, but I am looking for more. There is something lacking between us. After this commotion, remind me to try someone else. I don't want to fuck a heartless man anymore."

I lied. Luke is really good and I cannot ask for more as if he completes a missing part of me. He is like the last piece of my puzzle and we fit perfectly together. And yet, he hates me. He loathes me as if I did something terrible to him. I can't understand him. An enigma with no answer at all. All I can do is to equally hate him.

I was expecting another offensive rebuttal from Luke, but his tone of voice suddenly changed.

"I am sorry about you and Xander," he said as if he meant every words.

"At least I was able to see right through him before we even get married. Geez, I don't even know if I did love him," I whispered back.

With all the emotions that I feel right now for Luke, Xander became non existent in an instant.

"It is a blessing in disguise, don't you think?" he said as he smiled at me tenderly.

I thank the darkness around us because I flushed when I saw his affectionate smile. I am certain that Luke Torres has a dual personality. He can be vulgar at one time and can transform into a caring man in a split second.

"I am glad that Alexander is out of my life. I knew there is something fishy about him when he keeps bringing up wedding talks even if I am not ready. How about you, Luke? Do you have someone special?"

"I had a girlfriend years ago. I was planning to marry her. However, with my line of work, I will only put her at risk."

So the monster knows how to share something from his personal life after all.

"Are you a government assassin?" I asked him again as he seemed to be in the mood to share something about himself.

"Just an investigator, but our operations are all stealth. Nothing on books and everything is in secret as if we don't exist."

"Like license to kill James Bond operation?"

"Don't give me too much credit. I resigned from that work. I turned my back on my sworn responsibility."

"Will you tell me why? Or is that supposed to be a secret as well?" I continued to bombard him with personal questions.

"Mother died a few years ago and dad became weak. I decided to handle our farming business here on the island and take care of my dad. Aidan is a high ranking police official in the metro. He also requested a transfer to this province when our mother died."

"I am sorry about your mom. I didn't know that she passed away. Dad never told me anything about you or your father."

"Your dad was in a business trip in Beijing when my mom died. He canceled his trip and grieved with us. Dad is sick, but he is getting better every day. I hired nurses to take care of him while I am away. He doesn't even know that you and your father's life is in danger. I don't want him to worry. He treated your dad like his own blood brother."

"Luke... Thank you..."

"For what?"

"For saving me, for taking care of me. You're one hell of a protector and I feel like hating you every moment that we are together in this rocky island, but still I want to thank you."

"You hate me, huh?" he smiled as he opened a canned beer and gave it to me.

"If you will play Mr. Nice once in awhile, I might begin to hate you less," I smiled back at him as I accepted the beer.