Chapter 32 - New York

The pain of seeing Luke with Margarette is too much for me to handle. I was able to manage myself well when Xander cheated on me. And yet with Luke, it was highly unusual. It is as if my world crumbled into pieces.

I was hurt and confused. I was jealous and most of all, angry for falling madly and deeply with him so fast. All I know is that I have to leave as far from him as possible. I love this man and I know that he will never love me the same way.

With the help of some locals, I was able to find the nearest airport in the area. I took a bus to St. Gallen Altenrhein airport in Switzerland and flew right to New York. Ashton has some projects right now in the big apple.

"Dear, where have you been? I was calling almost every day, but you did not return any of my calls. I heard about your stepmother. Did she have a heart attack? Geez, she so young. I am very very sorry, dear," Ashton hugged me the moment I stepped inside his grandiose New York apartment.

"Ash, it was Janice that plotted to kill me and dad," I said as I sat on the living room sofa.

"Is that for real? OMG Chloe, I didn't have any clue. Your stepmother is great, how can she even do that?"

I detailed to Ashton how I met Luke and how I ended up running away from him in Feldkirch. It was indeed the most unforgettable week of my life.

"So, you mean to say, the mysterious man whom you made love at the back of his car is also your hero? Geez, I want to meet this man myself," Ashton said as he sat beside me.

"Ash, it is over. His work is done and he is probably in Austria with her ex-fiancee building their own fucking love story."

"And that is called jealousy, my dear. You did not react that way when Alexander cheated on you. Tell me, are you in love with Luke?"

"No, I am not..."

"Hmmm? Chloe? You can't hide anything from me."

"Ok, fine! Yeah, I admit! I am so madly in love with that man! Are you happy now?"

"I knew it! And I also knew that you don't love Xander. You just said yes to him because he is kind of pushy."

"Ash, I loved Alexander," I said without any confidence.

"No, you don't love that man. You just like him because of his Give A Shelter foundation for the homeless people which remind you of your mom's dedication to the poor."

"I don't know. You may be right. The moment I met Luke, it seems like Xander is completely insignificant in my life. Am I such a bad girl?"

"No, dear. That man cheated on you with your own step sister and I am glad that you found your one true love."

"And yet, I lost him," I said as I cover my face with my palm.

"Hush, dear. If he is meant for you, he will find you anywhere on earth."

"By the way, I will be returning tomorrow to help dad for the funeral. I know that he is also devastated from what happened," I said as I leaned on his shoulder while still sobbing.

"Your dad made it appear that your step mom's death is just a heart attack. I don't know if I will admire him for that. The woman nearly killed both of you."

"Dad loved her and it will be a commotion in the company once they found out that Janice smuggled massive amount of money from the company. Not to mention that she also tried to kill us."

"I know everything that happened is very difficult for you to handle. I am always here, my dear."