Chapter 13 - The Cabin

Janice must have already discovered that I am here on this island. I can't seem to decide if I am scared because my assassins knew that I am here or because Luke is driving like a madman.

I was able to breathe normally when we slowed down after a speedy highway ride. He used a rough road that seems to take us to nowhere. Both sides of the road are covered with towering green trees as if we are going to the entrance to the Amazon forest.

"Where are we going?" I finally asked him.

He did not answer and he remained quiet. His eyes are too focused on the road. It is already late in the afternoon when we stopped in front of a wooden gate that serves as an entrance to a massive private property. With just a few buttons pressed on his phone, the gate automatically opened.

Who would have thought technology exists in this part of the world?

I did not attempt to ask Luke again as it is pretty obvious that he does not want to talk to me. He parked his SUV in front of a wooden cabin and asked me to follow him.

"Aren't you going to bombard me with your unlimited questions?" he smiled while he opened the cabin door.

Wow! Would you really want me to answer that?

I just rolled my eyes. This man indeed has two personalities. One moment he is rude and quiet and the next thing I know, he wants to befriend me.

The cabin looks clean with highly polished parquet floor. No other furniture aside from a dark wooden chairs and tables.

Luke opened a small fridge and cooked a stir fried vegetables with chicken. I am thankful he did as my stomach is rumbling for the last few hours. We ate with complete silence.

After our late lunch or probably an early dinner, Luke opened a room and motioned me to get inside.

"I know it is still early, but you should take a rest. We will be leaving again tomorrow. I will be right here outside if you need anything. Let me know if you need something," he said in a calm voice.

"I am scared, Luke..."

"Don't be scared. I am just right outside your door," he said with a comforting smile.

I am not sure if he sounded concerned about me or if it is just my imagination. I nodded and sat on the bed. He did not close the door. He must be worried that I will run away from him. Exhaustion from last night's insanity consumed me and I fell as sleep.

I was running endlessly in dark pitch world. Someone is chasing me...

I don't know who is after me. All I know is that I am in danger and I need to flee...

I tried to run as fast as I could, but I stumbled on something. I stood up and saw the lifeless body of Ashton and my dad. I was petrified with fear....

And then Janice materialized in front of me. She is holding a bloody knife. I tried to walk away from her, but my back hit a wall. She raised the bloody knife and suddenly drove it on my chest...

I woke up with uneven breathing because of this nightmare. My body is full of sweat though I can feel the cold wind from the nearby window. It was a bad dream and yet it felt so real. Fear wrapped me and it makes me shiver.

"Chloe, what happened?" Luke said as he barged on the door when he heard me scream.

"Nothing. It was just a dream," I whispered.

"A dream?" he asked in a cold tone. I am certain he is more annoyed than worried right now.

What happened to the caring Luke a few hours ago?

"It was Janice. I dreamt of her... She killed Ashton, my dad... and then me..." I explained in a low voice.

"It is just a dream. You are just probably tired. Get some sleep," he said without any empathy as he closed the door.

How can he be so insensitive after all this time? Can he at least comfort me?