Chapter 20 - Binoculars

The sun is no longer visible in the horizon. I was about to go inside the tent when Luke quickly used his binoculars again. It looks like a specialized night vision goggles with equipped with thermal imaging used in military operations. He seemed to be more tensed.

"Is there something wrong?" I whispered to him as I sat beside him. I can see that he is quite uneasy while checking on something.

"Can you hear that?" he asked without looking at me.

"Hear what? Wwwait. Is that the sound of a motor boat?"

"Yep, with three armed men," he said as he finished the beer in can.

"Luke, they found us! What are we gonna do?" I whispered with panic in my voice.

"Relax, they can't see us here unless they have a fucking drone!" Luke flashed his naughty smile as if he is enjoying this game.

He motioned me to keep quiet as we hide behind the rocky boulder. I doubt that they will find us here as the island is rocky with high walls. And yet, the thought that Janice already discovered that I made it to this place made me shiver.

"Janice probably knew that your father originated from here. She is exploring all possible places where they can find you," Luke whispered to me. His face is too close to my face.

"If I die tonight, will you take care of my dad?"

"I won't let you die tonight or tomorrow or on the days to come," he said confidently.

"If I survived this, Luke, I am going to pay you whatever you want. Even higher what dad paid you."

"Your dad did not exactly provide any monetary allowance for this shit, but your body is enough," he said with a teasing smile.

"Based from what happened to us earlier today, I guess I already have an advance payment for few days," I smiled at him. It is good to have a conversation like this with Luke.

"No princess. That is just my upfront professional fee. You still need to pay me for my everyday services."

"And I bet you very much willing to accept my payments, aren't you?"

Before he was able to answer, he quickly motioned me to keep quiet as it seems that the motor boat stopped on the island.

How did they find us here? Are they checking even all of the small islands surrounding the main island?

Luke was about to stand up and leave me, but I pulled his arm.

"Where are you going? Don't leave me here!" I whispered with fear.

"Just stay here, princess. Don't go anywhere," and Luke quickly planted a kiss on my lips to silence me.

Fear enveloped me when I realized that my assassins are just a few metres aways from me. I am scared for my life as this is possibly my demise. I am also scared that something might happen to Luke.

The island is too dark and I can't see much. I thank God for the full moon tonight that serves as our light.

I waited for Luke, but all I can hear are the three men shouting to check the whole island. After a few agonizing minutes, I heard grunts from the men below as if they were fighting. Three gunshots filled the air and I covered my mouth to stop myself from shouting.

Luke is probably dead and it was my fault. I found the man I truly love and I can't believe that I will lose him as soon as I found him.