Chapter 27 - Feldkirch

The next day, we took a train out of Zurich to the city of Feldkirch. Luke rented an apartment under the name of Bruno Schiele. It was a spacious apartment and is located a few minutes from the train station. The owner did not ask further questions when Luke explained that we are here for our honeymoon.

"I didn't know that you speak fluently in German, my dear husband," I said as I sat on the sofa of our new apartment.

"You don't know a lot of things about me, my dear wife. I can speak Russian and French, even Mandarin if you like."

"Impressive. I am very much excited to discover even the darkest part of you, Bruno!" I laughed as I emphasized his first name.

"Come on, princess. Let me tour you around Feldkirch"

With Luke, I felt safe. It seems like the threat in my life is non existent in this part of the world. We visited almost all of the tourist spots in the city. From St. Nicholas Cathedral to an old hilltop castle with scary creeping vines, Luke showed me how wonderful Feldkirch is.

For the last few days, we are like newly wed couples. With Luke's mastery with the place, we are able to travel around the city easily.

"Your ex-fiancee, does she still lives here?" I asked Luke during our lunch in a restaurant.

"No, she lives in Vienna, but this is where we met," Luke answered in a low voice. It is pretty obvious that her ex-fiancee really hurt her.

"This place is special to you huh? I guess a lot of memories are flooding back to you right now. It is okay, Luke. No need to tell me everything. You are right, it is not part of your job description to share something personal," I smiled at him with assurance.

I want to hug him, comfort him and let him know that I am here. However, I am also afraid that he will reject me.

"We are sharing the same bed for the last few days, I don't mind sharing my past, princess," he said as he sipped his lemonade.

"She hurt you, I can see it in your eyes. Can I kill this cutthroat bitch on your behalf?"

"You will be in a deep trouble if you do that. She's kind of important here in Austria. I met her when I had a mission in this city a few years ago. Her name is Margarette and she was a barista in a coffeeshop. To make the story short, I fell in love. I even asked her to marry me and she even said yes."

"It sounds like a happy ending to me. What happened?" I continued to ask him.

"We are living together for quite some time. One day, I suddenly noticed that we were being followed almost everywhere. I thought she was in danger because my cover was blown and I was worried about her safety due to my line of work," Luke continued.

"And you decided to end your relationship with her to protect her?" I asked as chew the last piece of my Tafelspitz meal.

"She was the one who ended it actually..." Luke said as he faced the large window wall.

The rain is beginning to fall outside and it seems like the weather knows how to empathize to what Luke is feeling right now.

"I am sorry to hear that. It must have been hard as you are already planning for your wedding," I said as I touched Luke's hand.

"The men who were following us were his dad's security personnel. Margarette is not an ordinary barista, she is a billionaire's daughter and closely related to the Crown Prince. She broke up with me as her dad asked her to marry the son of a baron."

"A royalty? Is she married now?"

"The last time I have heard, she followed her father and married the other royal lad."

"You can marry me, I am your princess, right?" I laughed as I squeezed his hand. If only Luke will learn to love me, I will make sure not to hurt him.

"You are forgetting something, Chloe. You are already my wife," he smiled bitterly and kissed my hands.