Chapter 5 - The Ferry

The sun is almost setting when I reach the port that will take me to the island. The irksome man beside me is already gone. I guessed I fell asleep after all.

I took the next ferry that will take me to the distant island. If Ashton is right, my father is possibly here somewhere. If not, well, I will cross the bridge when I get there.

As far as I know, though this island province is far from the metro, the capital city is considerably modern. However, a substantial portion of the island is mostly covered in farms, forest at mountains.

I can't seem to appreciate the blue sea nor the perfect sunset while I am in the ferry due to the threat that I am facing. Janice is a businesswoman. She's crude and efficient. I am certain that she will be able to track me in no time if I am not careful enough.

It took me an excruciating five hour trip to reach island. The other passengers are starting to leave the ferry the moment we reached the island port. I was about to follow these passengers when a hand suddenly covered my mouth and dragged me away from the crowd.

"Chloe Avery Zamora, if you still value your pathetic life, don't make a sound and trust me," a familiar voice said.

I quickly turned my face around and the owner of the voice is none other than the annoying handsome being. He motioned me to keep quiet as he dragged me along the corridors of the ferry.

"Where are you taking me?" I said in a low voice.

"Your so-called assassins are waiting for you in the port. Do you see those two men who are pretending to be police officers?"

I quickly followed where he is pointing at and I saw two uniformed men. They are roaming their eyes, checking every passenger as if looking for someone.

"You can either follow me and thank me later or you can start imagining your gruesome death in their hands when they found you."

He used the stairs and went down directly to the bay where all the wheeled vehicles are located. This type of ferry is designed to carry wheeled cargo.

"Get inside. Stay at the back and try to hide," he said once we stopped in front of a compact black SUV.

"Who are you?" I asked him again. I can't seem to comprehend why this man is helping me.

"For a girl who is running from her assassins, you really have a lot of questions," he annoyingly said.

"Excuse me, former bus seatmate. Do you think I am stupid enough to follow you whenever you want me to? I don't even know your fucking name!" I said loudly without hiding my fury.

"We can skip the meet and greet portion and you can start by getting inside this fucking car!"

"No way! You are probably a perverted serial killer for all I know."

"Chloe, just get inside the car and I will explain everything," he said impatiently.

"Why don't you start explaining now?"

He turned his back at me and combed his hair. I bet the man is equally frustrated judging on how he clenched his fists.

Why does he look more attractive when he is furious?

"Princess, your dad asked me to look after you. If I really want to kill you, your lifeless body is probably floating somewhere else by now," he said in a surprisingly calm tone, and yet there is a danger in his voice.

Princess? It has been a long time since someone called me princess.

I am not sure if he is telling the truth and yet my guts told me to trust him. I am still not contented with his answers, however, seeing him upset somehow gave me a slight satisfaction.