Chapter 2

The moment my body hit the water I felt relieved. No, more than relieved, free. I felt free because every inch of my body was humming, I was alive. It's like being in pain without knowing, the water takes that invisible pain away.

  By the end of my first lap my heart rate has gone down, my muscles became loose, and my breathing was less frantic.

   Every time I come to The Dolphin (or any swim place really) I do a hundred and fifty laps. It may sound like too much, but for me it's not enough. I had gotten used to so much, plus it's summer, can't get lazy and out of shape. Then I'll become fat and I'm ugly enough as it is.

   All too soon I was done with my laps. When I pulled myself out of the water I spotted Ester and Vivian lounging on the beach chairs with a little round table. I noticed they were eating something from a red and yellow bag, chips maybe? I hope so. I may have eaten fast food only minutes ago, but my hunger is never satisfied. Making my way over to them I take off my nose plug, goggles, and cap. Then I yank my hair-tie off and let my long red hair fall to my waist.

   "Did you have fun?" Vivian asks, getting a Cheetos from the bag.

   "Of course, it's water. I always have fun in water." I said, helping myself to a handful of the chips.

   "Get your watery hands outta our chips. Here," Ester pulls a napkin toward the chair to her left, "eat those." Then she poured some Cheetos on the napkin without another word.

   I sigh and sat down. As I ate I scan the room, noticing just how crowded it was. It's the beginning of summer, I thought, people want to let their bodies relax after a long year of sitting in a rock hard desk for eight hours a day, five days a week. School and work are stupid.

   Eating the last of my Cheetos, I jump up, "Ready to get in?"

   "We just ate!" Vivians teal eyes fill with worry.

   "And? Chill, Lloron. I always do this. I promise, should I puke, it'll be on Ester." I look in Esters direction and wiggle my eyebrows.

  "And if such a thing happens I'll stab you with a fork." The Devil himself would be proud of the smile she's flashing me.

   The water began to get higher Vivian said, "Melody, how long can you hold your breath?"

   "I don't know. Coach would time me, but the longest she'd let me stay under was seven minutes. I know I can go on for much longer." I reply, trying not to sound that full of myself.

   "Okay hotshot. There's a clock over there. We'll time you. Only come up when you're about to faint." Ester walks in even deeper.

   When the water was up to my chin, though it wasn't even close to Esters shoulders, I said, "Look at the clock. My time starts... now!"

   I sank myself under until I hit the bottom, then I sat criss-crossed and wait. I'd left my swim gear on the table, but didn't need any of it. Over all the time I've spent in the water my eyes have adjusted to life under the surface.

   I carefully study the scene around me. Legs. And butts. Yip, plenty of those. Not awkward at all. Totally don't feel like a perv.

   Taking in my awkward surroundings I couldn't help but feel all the water encasing me. I close my eyes and listen to the glorious sound water makes when moved.

   Seconds later I reopen my eyes because a strange noise was disturbing the quiet. Concentrating, I think it sounds like a struggle, as if someone's fighting the water. But that's dumb. I mean how can someone fight water?! I swam to the surface and drew in a breath of fresh air to gather my thoughts.