Chapter 7

"Melody?" His voice sounded close behind me. Too close.

   "Back up." I said curtly.

   I heard his retreating steps. "Mel?" He tried again.

   "Yes?"

   "Would you turn around and look at me?" His voice shook, making me cringe.

   I couldn't. I couldn't erase the guilt I had; only minutes ago I was making out with Declan. I'm the world's biggest coward. Right now, I made Piglet look like flipping Batman.

   The I-can-do-anything mojo left my body. I am me again, and I'm a chicken shit.

   "I can't." I whisper.

   "Why not?"

   "I can't look at your face, I'll have a mental break down."

   You are very dramatic. Zayden noted.

   "Hold on." I can hear him shuffling around the room, but I couldn't bring myself to look.

   After an agonizing minute he spoke again, "Close the blinds on that window." He orders.

   I did as he said and the room was dark, not completely, I could see, but barely.

   "There. Turn around." He tenderly suggests.

   I saw him perched on the island in the middle of my kitchen. It took me a moment to realize he had a paper bag on his head.

   Is he that ugly? Zayden asked.

   "Why is there a paper bag on your head?" I ask, stifling a laugh.

   "You said you couldn't look at my pretty face. This is the only way I can talk to you with you looking at me." God, did he have to be so damn sweet?

   So sweet I think we got diabetes. Zayden laughed.

   "You said you wanted to talk, so talk."

   "I want you back Melody. I'm still in love with you. I need you Mel. Give us another chance." His voice was like velvet.

   "Zane." My voice trembled as tears spilled over (more crying, really?). "That's not the best idea."

   He jumps off the island and ripped off the paper bag, I shut my eyes quickly.

   "What? Why?" He sounds astonished. "Mel look at me." He whispered while placing a hand on the same cheek Declan had touched. I jerked my head, his hand fell instantly. "Come on Mel. Let me see those amazing violet eyes."

    Dying from diabetes. Zayden hummed.

   I couldn't ignore him any longer. I obeyed and my eyes found his face, tears blurring my vision but I can still see him.

   The young boy I remember four years ago had morphed into a man. His hair was different, the top longer then the sides by a few inches, and still dirty blonde. His eyes that astonishing blue-green that reminded me of the sea. The puffy checks I remembered were gone, replaced by high smooth ones, I know dimples were hiding, waiting to make their grand appearance. I looked at his lips; I kissed them countless times, long ago. True to his mother and sister, he had strawberry colored lips, now more defined. I ran my eyes over his neck, shoulders, chest, and his arms. Hormones in overdrive? Check.

   My eyes went back up to his face and I realized we were analyzing each other.

   "You look different." My tears had subsided. I can now talk to him face to face.