Chapter 15

"Are we gonna talk about this or are we just gonna sit around biting our nails." Dmitri said.

   We'd all settled in downstairs. I was on a purple bean bag and Declan had pulled his right next to mine. Zane was seated on the couch, as far from me as possible. He hasn't spared me a glance but was content with glowering at Declan. I couldn't blame Zane for his anger, but that don't mean I have to like it either.

   "You're right hermano. Jordan speak." Kyle grins.

   "First off, we need to lay our cards on the table. Say of we have any powers like Mel, Kyle, and Aliyah. Here goes nothing." Jordan took a deep breath, "I can talk to animals."

   "What?" Vivian squeaked.

   "I can hear animal's voices as clearly as I can hear you." Jordan smiled softly.

   Naturally. Zayden said.

   You have explaining to do. I replied.

   All in good time little wave.

   "What kind of animals?" I breathe underwater for crying out loud, so if Jordan claims to speak pig Latin I can keep an open mind.

   "Mainly mammals. Fish and sea creatures just have bubbles coming from their mouth." Jordan answered with a pointed look at Dmitri and Declan.

   "Declan?" Dmitri looked over. He nodded and Dmitri grinned. "Dec and I can do the same."

   "How long?" Kyle asked.

   "Kindergarten. We were walking home and heard a husky say, 'my butt itches, so does my ear wait, my butts not itching, I have to... here we go.' Then there he is, taking a shit."

   "Jordan?" I asked.

   "I was four and visiting for Christmas. A chipmunk was in a tree and said, 'Winter! Winter, must gather. Where? Need food!' never told anyone because, well, who would believe me?" Even at four Jordan was a genius.

   "That's it!" Aliyah snapped her fingers and jumped up. "When we progress with others in our... group, whatever power we have expands. The reason Mel, Kyle and I have cracked so much power is because we're always together. Zane moved and Jordan lives on a different content, leaving their groups with a void."

   I blinked at her. "Ali you brilliant little nerd."

   "She's right. For now let's move on. Ester, you're hiding something. Vivian don't look so innocent. Zane don't get your panties in a bunch, they sell the nice ones at the store. One of you spill." Kyle said.

   "Zane?" he looked up and his sea blue-green gaze made my heart swell. "Fess up." I grinned.

   He ran a hand down his face and looked towards the heavens. "I heal people."

   "How?" at least he spoke up.

   "I sing." He said simply.

   "Because I'm smart enough to understand that." I nod my head in a serious way.

   "Ester, Vivi, spill." Declans pushy voice is cute.

   "We do the same. Broken bones, the flu, bruises, and all we do is sing." Vivian mumbled.

   "We've all been keeping dirty little secrets." Ester grimly said.

   "What does it all mean?" Aliyah asked.

   "We have powers that grow when we're together. It seems to me the powers we have are environment, mental, and physical. What does it all mean?"  Jordan was fiddling his thumbs while pacing.

   "Don't forget who the doms are. I mean, Ali, Mel, and I only move water, control people, and breathe underwater." Kyle gave a cocky half-smile.

   "So you guys are mermaids?" Declan teased.

   "I've never heard of mermaids who can move water or control minds." Jordan pointed out.

   "Phew. If I were a mermaid I'd have to question my sexuality." Kyle joked.

   "We need to test these powers." Zane spoke up. "I'll go first."

   "The whole singing-healer thing, goes it matter what song you sing?" Ali had a good question.

   "Nope, I just have to sing." Zane clarified.

   I strode over to the kitchen and went to the drawer below the sink, and grabbed the biggest knife I could find. I laid my left and on the counter, palm up, and held the knife securely as I prepared to cut my own hand. Think of it as a piece of meat. I brought the knife down.

   A squeal of shock came out of me and the others. A shooting pain erupted and I could feel the blood flowing freely.

   Emo much? Cutting yourself is not okay! Zayden yelled.

   I know that.

   "Melody are you loco?" Zane stormed over and took the knife.

   "I used you as a lab rat, now it's my turn. Go on, heal me." This won't make up for what I did, but at least I repaid my debt.

   "Be glad it's not worse." He's not mad (that's something). Then, his angel-like voice sang. It took me a second to realize he was singing Baby One More Time.

  "...I must confess, I still believe. When I'm not with you I lose my mind. Give me a sign. Hit me baby one more time..."

   I look at the floor, suppressing the strong urge to laugh. I can't get the image of Chad Michael Murray in Freaky Friday singing that part of the song out of my head.

   "Mel, look at your hand." Zane whispered.

   I'd totally forgot about the gash. I looked and there was nothing, only blood. I got a towel and wiped the blood off only to reveal my smooth, unscarred hand, "It works."

   The others gathered around and were marveling at my hand.

   "Goody-two-shoes proved their power. Athletes turn." Kyle was unfazed by what happened. "I'll be back." He then ran up the stairs.

   He came back and holding a cage and paper. "Jordan, Dmitri and Declan. Write down the name and gender of my hamster."

   "Hamster? When did you get a hamster? You can barely take care of yourself." Ester said.

   "Last week. Guy's, name and gender."

   "Simple enough." Jordan said.

   All of us stared silently at the brown and white hamster, and then the boys started writing. When they finished they gave Kyle their answers.

   Kyle cleared his throat, "This one is Declans. Name Prince. Gender, boy." He paused and got the next. "Jordan's, same as Declans." Last one. "Dmitri's, same. You guys are right, you can talk to animals." Kyle grumbled disappointment clear.

   "Bruh something is wrong with that hamster. He's thinking, 'Prince. What a dumb name, well look at my owner. Watch me work this wheel.'" Dmitri said while Declan and Jordan chuckled.

   As the words left Dmitri's mouth, Prince the chubby hamster got on the wheel and started running, making it squeak in protest.

   Kyle roughly pulled the cage up to his face and said, "You think your name is dumb? Be glad I bought you, you ungrateful fury, fat little thing. What's he thinking now?"

   "At the moment, 'I may be small but I will bite. I loved the pet store; I got fed and laid daily.' Now he's just plain out cursing." Dmitri started laughing with Declan and Jordan.

   "That proves it. What are we?" we have to discuss this.

   "Maybe Zane and them are-" Aliyah was cut off.

  Someone stumble into the room wearing all black, covered in water and- blood?!

   "Help!" The person said. Male.